2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with heated & cooled seats......

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 06:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has the same setup. I reckon your fan is going backwards. It should suck in that vent and blow up through the seat.

The following users liked this post:
mdgs (02-17-2023)
Old 10-31-2021, 06:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by waldoverkill
Mine has the same setup. I reckon your fan is going backwards. It should suck in that vent and blow up through the seat.
I believe you are correct. The wiring must be crossed causing the fan to rotate in the opposite direction….WOW

Old 11-01-2021, 06:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree. The cooled seats blow air out of the perforations, so that little duct should be pulling air in. Can you feel appreciable air movement with your ventilated seats if you are wearing very light clothes? I think something is definitely wrong with your installation in this case.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Can one of you snap a similar picture like I did above showing the round fan under the seat? Thanks

Old 11-01-2021, 08:54 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by waldoverkill
Looking and researching this more, the air actually does not suck into the elongated vent that I circled in red if all operates as intended. The air is pulled through the round puck shaped section with the white filter. So..........I have NO IDEA why air is blowing out of the elongated duct part. I'm going to my dealer to compare with another Defender.

Old 11-01-2021, 11:05 AM
Rock Crawling

Update: I haven't gone to my dealer yet to compare with another Defender but.....I verified that my fan is rotating correctly and pulling air through the round filter section and indeed I can feel cool air coming through the perforations in the seat cushion......but, at the same time there is warmer air exhausting or blowing out of the elongated section I circled in red in my pictures above. Note that my climate control was totally off while I tried this. My seat fans are definitely rotating correctly and pulling air through them and into the seat cushions, question is WHY is warmer air exhausting out of the elongated duct work towards the back of my knees/calfs? I annotated the photos attached here so it explains better what I am seeing.

Once I verify with another vehicle at the dealer I'll determine if this is correct standard operating procedure.

Last edited by Low Country; 11-01-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks for the pics, this is really interesting to see. Crazy question, which may take someone like Simon and his team at PowerfulUK to figure out, but I wonder if this under seat fan could be fitted to Defenders that didn't come from factory with "cooled seats"? Mine has heated seats only and here in the south, could use cooling more than heating.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drcoop
Thanks for the pics, this is really interesting to see. Crazy question, which may take someone like Simon and his team at PowerfulUK to figure out, but I wonder if this under seat fan could be fitted to Defenders that didn't come from factory with "cooled seats"? Mine has heated seats only and here in the south, could use cooling more than heating.
That would definitely take a brainchild like Simon to answer for sure. Not sure what is involved electronically speaking.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:17 PM
Mudding
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Country
Looking and researching this more, the air actually does not suck into the elongated vent that I circled in red if all operates as intended. The air is pulled through the round puck shaped section with the white filter. So..........I have NO IDEA why air is blowing out of the elongated duct part. I'm going to my dealer to compare with another Defender.
I didn't answer because I haven't been able to test this for you, but for what it's worth:

I feel like back when I used my cooled seats I felt I small amount of air behind my knees as well, but nothing substantial, and I definitely still felt the cooling from the seat itself, which is why I didn't make much note of it. Is that elongated vent there to essentially equalize pressure depending on how high the cooling is set and who is sitting in the seat? Technically a larger person (not specifically heavier, mind you) would block more of the seat vents so maybe if a certain static pressure is reached, the excess is vented from there to save the fan from excess wear?

Old 11-01-2021, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by D-Fens
I didn't answer because I haven't been able to test this for you, but for what it's worth:

I feel like back when I used my cooled seats I felt I small amount of air behind my knees as well, but nothing substantial, and I definitely still felt the cooling from the seat itself, which is why I didn't make much note of it. Is that elongated vent there to essentially equalize pressure depending on how high the cooling is set and who is sitting in the seat? Technically a larger person (not specifically heavier, mind you) would block more of the seat vents so maybe if a certain static pressure is reached, the excess is vented from there to save the fan from excess wear?
Hi, Your theory is certainly valid and that could be correct. I do not believe there is anything wrong with my heated/cooled seat operation, the fans are rotating in the correct direction, my seat cooling & heating can be felt in the cushions, my whole point of my thread was to determine if air should be blowing out of the elongated duct towards the back of our knees..... but until I verify with a couple Defenders on my dealers lot I can't say for sure.

The following users liked this post:
D-Fens (11-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Those with heated & cooled seats......