Sponsored by:

Those with heated & cooled seats......

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Country
Hi all,

Just for the heck of it tonight while I was driving I tried the heated and cooled seat functions to see how they felt. I expected in the cooled seat function to feel some breeze somewhere in the cushions. But what I also noticed in the heated seat function was blowing air hitting me behind my knees . There was air blowing under the bottom seat cushion towards the back of my knees/calfs regardless of whether I was using the heated seats or the cooled seats.

Can those of you with heated/cooled seats see if you feel air blowing under the bottom seat cushion towards the back of your knees?

Thanks a ton!!
Hi

I am having the same issue with my 2023 LR Defender, were you able to find out what the problem was.
My dealer told me it was normal.

Thank you

Old 02-18-2023, 01:13 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

On vehicles with heated and cooled seats, a Pelletier device is used for temperature regulation. To put it simply, this device uses electricity to make one side of an element hot and one side cold. When cooling, the byproduct hot air needs to be expelled, thus the vent. When heating, it just changes direction of current flow through the element and then expels the hot air air towards the occupant. These are pretty common on luxury cars these days, often used for seats, cupholders, refrigerated compartments. There are other methods for all of these things of course, but the Pelletier is a great option and a lot simpler than many other options.

Old 02-18-2023, 06:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by this_account_is_mt
On vehicles with heated and cooled seats, a Pelletier device is used for temperature regulation. To put it simply, this device uses electricity to make one side of an element hot and one side cold. When cooling, the byproduct hot air needs to be expelled, thus the vent. When heating, it just changes direction of current flow through the element and then expels the hot air air towards the occupant. These are pretty common on luxury cars these days, often used for seats, cupholders, refrigerated compartments. There are other methods for all of these things of course, but the Pelletier is a great option and a lot simpler than many other options.
if one only has the heated seat option, maybe just a software configuration change will enable the cooled seat option? Sounds like the hardware is there already.

Old 02-18-2023, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Defender90NY
if one only has the heated seat option, maybe just a software configuration change will enable the cooled seat option? Sounds like the hardware is there already.
I'm guessing non-cooled, heat-only seats use a heating pad rather than a Pelletier. But if I'm wrong, then you may be correct.

Old 02-18-2023, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Thank you, for the response, and the explanation of the system.
My issue is that cold air is expelled when the heated seats are on. This is why I'm thinking there is something wrong with the set up.

Best

Old 02-18-2023, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by X-dynamic
Hi
Thank you, for the response, and the explanation of the system.
My issue is that cold air is expelled when the heated seats are on. This is why I'm thinking there is something wrong with the set up.

Best
Correct. The system reverses direction. So when cooled, warm comes out the vent. When heated, cool comes out the vent. Normal.