Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underbody Protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 03:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Underbody Protection

So I installed rock sliders from TuffAnt last week and as per instructions I removed the felt liners. My first impressions were:
  • sliders are much higher than fuel tanks(~ 400mm vs 315mm clearance in offroad height)
  • There is a great big space on the port side that is just asking for a water tank (940mm x 400mm x 200mm LxWxH)
  • Some of these exposed cables might catch a stick, but they are 500mm high at least... so it has to be a long stick to do any damage
  • how will my underbody cope being exposed to the elements?
After several sleepless nights I am still torn about the felt liners: Leave off or cut and reinstall?
I think I've read every post on this forum about the liners and my gut tells me they will sag.
Removing the liners also released about 2kg of trapped sand and mud.
Does this mean that if I leave them off then washing the underbody after beach/mud driving will be more effective?
Or have they shielded the chassis from exposure?
What about the small wind deflectors on the front of the rear tyres? Has anyone reinstalled these?
BTW, I have not noticed any increase in noise or mileage on the highway with the liners off.

I can cut and reattach the felts, securing with two bolt locations on the slider side but it looks a bit silly as it hangs well below the sliders.

Today I also installed a rear diff guard and I am considering underbody armour from ORD which will cover most of the exposed underbody, but if I can refit the left and right side undershield liners in a way that won't sag the minute I go through some water or scoop and collect sand the next time I am on the dunes... then happy days.

Keen to hear the thoughts of those who use this vehicle on the beach, rutted tracks or deep mud.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:58 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

are these aluminum material or steel?

Old 12-21-2022, 11:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I'm about to embark on the same journey in February. My plans are to install sliders and a new fuel tank (added capacity). I've seen some great stuff from Matzker, but still too pricey for me. Appears to be ~5,500 Euro's for what I'd like. I'm hoping someone else enters the market. Here's a Link for others to enjoy. It is in German so run it thru a translation. I'm sure the quality is up there to meet the price, I just likely don't need that robust of a "quality"<g>. It's a "thing" in Texas for people to steal catalytic converters for the minimal precious metals in it. If they had something to protect the cat, it would defray some of my future costs/efforts so it would be a desirable add for me. But without that, it's still a heavy cost.

Old 12-21-2022, 05:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
are these aluminum material or steel?
Sliders are a single piece steel with a powder coated black satin finish. 31.5 kg on each side.
Rear diff guard is aircraft aluminium alloy 8mm with powder coat, 3.5 kg.