2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XPEL Stealth PPF; has anyone made their glossy finish matte?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default XPEL Stealth PPF; has anyone made their glossy finish matte?

I was quoted nine grand to do a fitted wrap (not use pre cut pieces) for a 2020 Defender 110; includes ceramic coating and removal/reinstallation of my Frontrunner rack (I'm not gonna attempt that a second time). For reference, I am in SoCal and these guys do exceptional work.

Here's the product:

https://www.xpel.com/shop/paint-protection-film/stealth

Has anyone done this? I know people have added ppf for the 'rock chip over rear wheel well area' issue (my classic mud flats eliminate this issue), but nine g's is a lot of dough to make a glossy car matte.

The matte finish from the factory is also a wrap, correct? I'd love to hear other peoples stories, photo's, thoughts, etc... if they've done this. We all have better things to spend our money on, but like most things that's all relative.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:53 PM
4wd High
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$9k sounds fair fwiw. haven’t seen it on defenders but have seen it on other cars in person, black and red and both looked good. didn’t look like a wrap

Old 09-21-2021, 08:22 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

I have an appointment at PFS to do exactly that (full Stealth). Will post photos when completed.
https://protectivefilmsolutions.com

Old 09-21-2021, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

I just had my Trophy Edition wrapped in EXPEL (not stealth) followed by a ceramic coating and that is in the ballpark for what I paid (had my wheels ceramic coated as well).

Old 09-21-2021, 09:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

It sounds egregious... but God damn does it look good!

I look forward to your photo's.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:01 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbo28
The matte finish from the factory is also a wrap, correct?
Yup, it's a satin wrap, self healing. Not sure about the brand, but I was told Xpel. Worth every penny to me as protection from brush, branches and bushes off-road. Only thing that looks scratched up on my silver 110 is the flared accessory wheel arches. The "paint" (few people guess it's a wrap, even up close) still looks as good as new, really amazing how even noticeable pinstriping from the thorniest of SoCal desert bushes literally disappears in the sun after just a few hours and a good wash. It's not a full matte finish, so kind of subtle which I also like.

It was a $3800 factory option when I ordered my 2020 early last year, which made my head spin at the time, but having seen some of the prices here I guess it was quite a bargain as it is also covered by the factory warranty (I believe Land Rover has since jacked up the price of that option, so perhaps no longer the bargain it used to be.) Roof is not wrapped, though, and neither are the areas behind the door handles. Overall though, I am now a believer. After a year of similar off-roading, the beautiful Firenze red paint if my previous LR4 was already quite a mess.

Last edited by umbertob; 09-21-2021 at 11:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by umbertob:
Craig_RRS2013 (09-22-2021), sylver3 (03-07-2024)
Old 09-22-2021, 12:28 PM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm actually getting my Pangea Green Defender wrapped with matte film at this moment although they're using GSWF film rather than XPEL. Quote is for $8k for full body wrap and after checking with multiple shops in the area, they all quoted around the same price.

The following users liked this post:
sylver3 (03-07-2024)
Old 09-22-2021, 12:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Honestly curious here as I have no experience with this. The last time I painted a vehicle, I did it in my backyard. I was young, dumb, and poor. I called it my 5x55 paint job: if you were 5 yards away and I drove by at 55mph - it would look good. Anyway, just naive and trying to fill in some gaps: how much would it cost to just paint the Defender? Let's say you pulled the spare, the roof rack and then they just went at it. They'd pull stickers/logos/badges. Have to do all that with the wrap. Then the paint prep would be straightforward as there "should" be no body work. Just paint prep and paint. How much would just painting it the new color cost? Anyone done this and have a price?

The following users liked this post:
sylver3 (03-07-2024)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:45 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Umbeertob is correct, LR has increased the price of the factory satin PPF - it is $4,900 USD on the 110-X I have on order. Less $ than what I was quoted from a local installer, but the amount of coverage by the factory on the X is less.

Last edited by MrBreeze; 09-22-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tzhou
I'm actually getting my Pangea Green Defender wrapped with matte film at this moment although they're using GSWF film rather than XPEL. Quote is for $8k for full body wrap and after checking with multiple shops in the area, they all quoted around the same price.
Would be awesome if you could post some photos of the finished product!

Quick Reply: XPEL Stealth PPF; has anyone made their glossy finish matte?