4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Coal Country Overland Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts
Default Coal Country Overland Trip

So this is the next trip for me I'm leaving in the morning to head to the rally point in Corning NY.

Coal Country Overland 2018

21-23 September 2018

20 September 2018: The LK8 Team will be staying in Corning NY which has a variety of hotel accommodations for those wishing to arrive the night before.

21 September 2018: LK8 will arrive at 3217 Silverback Ln, Painted Post, NY 14870 (WalMart supercenter) at 9 am. This will be the rally point for the group before we head to the start point. This will give you a chance to pick up any forgotten items, more ice etc before we leave at 10 am. Also please use this time to ensure your petrol/diesel tank is full. 10 am is a hard time please be ready to go when the group pulls out. We will continue down the interstate to the beginning of the Overland Route near Lawrenceville.

We have two possible finish points for the 21st, time and the groups movement speed will dictate how far we travel.

The first possible stop point is Cedar Run PA. https://www.pettecotejunction.com/

The second possible stop point is https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/F...s/default.aspx

On the 22nd we will leave at 9 am continuing on the overland journey south towards Waterville. We will stop to top off the fuel tanks, pick up ice etc, in Waterville PA. Our hard time for leaving the fuel stop will be no more than 60 minutes from our arrival. If everyone is ready we will leave sooner.

Our expected stop for the evening will either be Ravensburg State Park Campground.

https://pennsylvaniastateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/ravensburg-state-park/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=PA&parkId=880119

Or further south depending on how the journey is going at Raymond B Winter State Park:

https://pennsylvaniastateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/raymond-b-winter-state-park/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=PA&parkId=880120

On the 23rd both options leave a short drive the next morning to the Highway for the trip home.

Please keep in mind this is a Overland event, I would not expect hard wheeling. Overland travel is about survivability of the vehicle and not about the hardest line possible. It is also has it’s roots in living from your vehicle for both shelter and what it carries.

It is meant to give us a way to enjoy what this beautiful country has to offer and taking the time to enjoy it. It will be a laid back family friendly event for all ages to enjoy.

Also this plan is tentative, if we are making great time, and our Rovers are up to the task we can press on further each day. That adjustment will have to made on the fly. It is a daunting task to layout the adventure for us with limited knowledge of the route ahead.

Be sure to bring recovery gear, fluids, drinking water, food and camping gear. All vehicles need to be legal to drive on the road. This is a gathering of friends with a common interest and all participants are at their own risk.

I hope to see all of you there with your Rover’s and a sense of adventure.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 02-06-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

The LR3 is loaded and ready to go hit the road/trail.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Have a safe journey. Looks like cooler temps are moving in, makes for better traveling. Take plenty of pictures.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Have the knock off go pro set up and I will do my best to take some with my camera. Probably limited though since I am driving.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

On the road..

Parked in my urban camp site

Last edited by ArmyRover; 09-24-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Have the knock off go pro set up and I will do my best to take some with my camera. Probably limited though since I am driving.
Personally, enjoy pictures more than videos...unless videos are taken from outside the rover by someone else. The POV videos are somewhat boring in my opinion, just a bunch of bouncing around and you really don't get a good/realistic understanding of the terrain. Example, watched a video on Expedition Portal about a dude traveling through Africa...first two minutes were fine...but after seeing the same view for the next twenty minutes...equaled...boring. lt was like viewing the praire for twenty minutes, a picture is good enough, since it is pretty much mono-geographical...and you get the picture...literally and figuratively...from just a snapshot. I guess, editing would play a huge roll in quality also.

Anyhow, keep us posted about the activities. And since you don't drive that 110 anymore...why don't you trade me it for my black 928...lol.

Brian.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

That trade would be a bad deal for one of us Brian. Currently the 110 needs a complete interior and a new carb as I jacked up the rebuild on the current carb.

Made it home at 10pm last night it was an amazing trip. Had zero cell service the whole time. Love it when that happens and you can just disconnect. Will post up a bunch of pics today.

1800 mile trip LR3 was awesome was also very cool seeing a D5 out there hitting the trail.

I hear you on the video. Good news is the battery died every 20 min so the video jumps around to different locations a lot lol

Old 09-24-2018, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

What a trip! So for me it was a bit of a haul to get to the start point. We all met up in Corning NY, at Wegman’s grocery on Friday Morning. So I made the run up from Augusta GA. At the Wegmans I ran into Justin, Erik and Toughguy Wheelman from Lucky8. Along with my good friends Brent, Eli, Ed and Bryon. Bryon Dorr of Exploring Elements was along to cover the trip for a Automotive publication. Along with being a Journalist he is a top notch Photographer as well. He got some amazing shots during the adventure. We all caught up for a few minutes while we waited on one more person that was running a few minutes behind James.

We had a slight miss on the start point address so we went met up with him. Topped off the fuel tanks and hit the start of the trail. Also got my new to me Jerry cans mounted up.

One thing that I thought was awesome, was we had all the generations of Discovery on the adventure. We had the Discovery 1, a Discovery 2, 2 LR3s, a LR4 and the new Discovery 5. Maybe it was just me but seeing all 5 generations running down the trails together was just awesome. We also can’t forget the only Range Rover in the group Brent in his awesome 06 RRS.

We started the trail and it was clear it was an overland trip. Some will say its not off road since we weren’t rock crawling or hitting huge water crossings but its not always about that. We had all manner of surfaces and terrain on the trip. Some was pretty smooth chip seal roads others were miles of rock strewn rough surfaces. It was all fun, mud rock water I loved every section. I learned that PA has their own grand canyon, otherwise known as the Pine Creek Gorge. Every turn brought another stunning view and every mile that passed under our tires was just making my grin more and more permanent.

We stopped for the first night in Happy Acres campground and enjoyed a group meal of hot dogs and extra cheesy Mac’n’cheese. Brent did an amazing job of keeping us feed at dinner time. Lunches were sandwiches enjoyed on the trail. Then it was just time telling stories and catching up with old and new friends. A pretty solid storm blew in and I learned that my roof top tent is weather tight.

The next morning I led us back out onto the trail. We found some sections that were a bit more challenging with very tight sections, rocks, mud and nasty pools of water. Every truck cruised right through it without a issue. We kept on rolling seeing more and more of the beauty this country has to offer us and how lucky we are to be free to enjoy it. More miles, more smiles and more laughter shared on the CB as we moved along to our overnight stop at a nice PA state park. A dinner of chicken fajitas and hours of conversation before turning in at the end of a long day.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 09-24-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

The next morning saw us packing up and heading into State College, PA for some breakfast sandwiches and then sadly heading our separate ways to home.

So I didn’t concur the kings of hammers or even the rock garden at Raush Creek off road park but I did go with a fantastic group of folks for 300+ miles across the back roads and trails of PA on a amazing 2 day adventure. Everyone on that trip is now a friend, 2 are and always have been my brothers from another mother.

We did what Rover’s are best at, we enjoyed the adventure of something new and the thrill of Discovery!

Last edited by ArmyRover; 09-24-2018 at 09:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Well there you go, another fun weekend of Rovering

Quick Reply: Coal Country Overland Trip