4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Land Rover of Richmond (BC) Wheel event

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:03 AM
TReK
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts
Default Land Rover of Richmond (BC) Wheel event

This is a one day event hosted by the dealership and run by the Roverlander's of BC who provide Route planning and convoy management. The object is to get newer Land Rover drivers out off the pavement and on to the gravel, it is not a technical trip but has a few more "difficult sections". it is the first year for me but everyone had a good time and the only issues were 2 flats one easy fix and one "nightmare" as the result of a broken locking wheel nut key. There were 22 Land Rovers from 3 defenders, 1 Disco II, a couple of Disco I's and an LR3 from the Roverlanders. the rest were a mix of new Discoveries, Ranger Rovers at least 1 Evoque, and 4 brand new less than 200k Discoveries.

Getting ready to head up the gravel with me at the end, that was about a 2KM long snake when moving

These were taken by others

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (10-13-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 01:21 AM
TReK

As to the young fellow who had the 2nd flat it was as close to a comedy of errors as you can get:

5 km from pavement on a flat piece of FSR he gets two slashes in his tire, about an inch and 1.5 inches in length, he can not find his wheel lock adapter. So we go to plugs get one plugged which is when we found the second one, it will not hold. So we start checking his truck for the lock adapter he just had his tires done at the dealer so it has to be there. We tear the truck apart no luck, decide to try one more time and I find it in the spot Land Rover designed for it. So we figure we are good to go, no such luck the steel portion of the adapter stripped out of the aluminum, we fiddled around for 20 minutes trying to bodge a fix no luck. Sent the dealer rep and the fellow friend down to the nearest gas station to get a tow truck, it is now 5:45 or so. An hour later no tow truck so we decide it may well save him some money so we creep the 5k to pavement at about a mile an hour. Made no problem and hit about 7:30 and it is getting dark.

About 7:45 I see the tow truck coming towards us, go to flag him down but he is moving too fast and did not see me, send the second vehicle in chase. Later around 8:15 they get back to us, the driver grabs his tools to break the locking nut free, they are too small, so a 300.00 tow it is, about 80 Km from us to the Richmond dealership where these guys are from.

In the end I left there for home at 8:30 in the evening 4.5 hours after I had planned, but the 4 young guys got sorted out had a good, if somewhat expensive time and want to do it again.

And no not the best off road tires, but for a stupid locking nut adaptor it would not have been an issue

Old 10-13-2018, 08:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Looks like a fun event, very scenic for sure. That's a freight train of vehicles, first part of the group would be done having lunch as the last of the pack arrived...lol.

Darn locking lug nuts anyway. Hate them, especially when some idiot tire guy or owner over tightens them with an impact. Normally, l tighten the locking lug nut just past snug.

Thanks, for sharing.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

A sacrificial socket forced on to the lock nut with a hammer can make quick work of it! Looks like a great trip!

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by wjsj69
A sacrificial socket forced on to the lock nut with a hammer can make quick work of it! Looks like a great trip!
That was my thought too, when I saw the tow truck drivers tools but I don't carry a full range of sockets. But it all ended well.