Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   4X4 Events and Weekend Outings (https://landroverforums.com/forum/4x4-events-weekend-outings-34/)
-   -   M.A.R. (Mid Atlantic Rally) (https://landroverforums.com/forum/4x4-events-weekend-outings-34/m-r-mid-atlantic-rally-85502/)

ArmyRover 08-08-2017 02:45 PM

M.A.R. (Mid Atlantic Rally)

So MAR is coming up and for the first time in my life it looks like I'm close by and free. So thinking of taking the LR3 up for a weekend of fun. Anyone else going? Any others from the Georgia area?

https://www.roav.org/mar-2015

munky1 08-09-2017 05:29 AM

I plan on being there. Will be coming from the Richmond, va area

FloridaRover 08-09-2017 08:42 AM

This looks awesome, and during my birthday! I may look at towing the rig up from FL with my old man..

ArmyRover 08-09-2017 08:56 AM

I'm cleared to go and my leave form is in so I should be there.

FloridaRover are you bringing the XD or the 04?

FloridaRover 08-09-2017 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 615549)
I'm cleared to go and my leave form is in so I should be there.

FloridaRover are you bringing the XD or the 04?

Would trailer the XD, looks like it's exactly 700 miles from my house

ArmyRover 08-09-2017 12:28 PM

ouch, done that a few times. I'll be taking the LR3.

FloridaRover 08-09-2017 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 615570)
ouch, done that a few times. I'll be taking the LR3.

Hey ArmyRover, did you realize that Overland Expo East is just a few days prior? And almost on the way?
https://www.overlandexpo.com/east/

I had looked at attending that but seems a little too "fancy" for my taste...

ArmyRover 08-09-2017 05:12 PM

I went a few years ago, and it was a interesting event with a lot to offer but very little in the way of actual off road fun. I'd rather hit MAR it's a event with a long running history and usually a huge turn out.

ArmyRover 08-30-2017 05:53 PM

Only another 10 days or so for the pre-registration for the lower price.

Where are the other Georgia Rovers...

ArmyRover 09-04-2017 03:45 PM

30 days out, I think the LR3 is already half loaded for the trip.

ArmyRover 09-13-2017 07:55 PM

Less than a month to go.

JUKE179r 09-13-2017 09:37 PM

Smyrna, GA here :wave:
I'd like to go but I am going to hit up East Overland Expo in North Carolina on Sept 29th weekend.
I don't think I can get a kitchen pass for 2 weekends in a row.

ArmyRover 09-13-2017 09:41 PM

If you want to look at displays and catch a class or 2 than go to overland expo. If you want to camp, wheel and meet Rover folks come to MAR.

Expo East is cool I've been but I would take a Rover event over it most anytime.

ArmyRover 09-22-2017 10:13 PM

Little less than 2 weeks to go to MAR

JUKE179r 09-23-2017 05:18 PM

Thanks for the info Army Rover.
M.A.R. sounds definitely more entertaining for Land Rover owners. It sounds more like the Billing LR shows I used to go to every year when I was stationed in England.

ArmyRover 09-30-2017 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If they had trail damage than it's spot on lol.

Less than a week to go, tested setting up my new tent and started getting stuff packed in the LR3. Going to clean the truck tomorrow and get it organized a bit better. Still need to put my camp cooking stuff in.

The Deputy 10-01-2017 06:41 PM

Have fun and take plenty of pictures.

Brian.

ArmyRover 10-01-2017 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will do what I can on the pictures. I'm meeting my friends at the event so fun is a lock!

Truck is loaded. Just need to toss in my sleeping bag once it dries, ice and food.

Today I also washed it, waxed it, cleaned/conditioned the leather and ran a vacuum through it. Some times it is hard to believe that it is a 12 year old truck.

ArmyRover 10-04-2017 07:38 PM

Rolling out tomorrow at 1100 try to play nice while the Mods away lol

JUKE179r 10-05-2017 09:31 AM

Have a wicked time mate!
Drink some beers for me. Wifes got me on a diet. :p

ArmyRover 10-05-2017 01:55 PM

I'll do my best

ArmyRover 10-06-2017 09:42 AM

First night was a great turn out trail rides are already going on. Good food, good fun, friends old and new. Pics to follow

ArmyRover 10-09-2017 07:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok so my first MAR will not be my last. The location is amazing the views have to be seen to believed.

Day 1 I arrived Thursday late afternoon. Met up with some old friends, had a few laughs and got camp set up. Saw the first group of night runs heading out and hung out waiting for my friends to arrive instead. So met a bunch of new people while I was hanging out.

It never ceases to amaze me how you really need to know no one to be a part of a Rover event. Just walk over join a group and before long you will be talking and laughing like you have known each other your entire lives.

My friends arrived so I helped them get set up and than the beers were opened and we got caught up and slowly but surely we ended up with quite the group all brought together by a love a Rovers.

Day 2 Friday we had a great breakfast cooked up by Erik of Lucky8. He cooked up some kick butt breakfast burritos on the back of their mobile store. So stomachs full Brent (awesome D1 on 35's) Justin and Erik (RRS) and I went out to join a trail ride.

From what I understand MAR actually means Mud and Rain but this year it was dry so the trails have an entirely different character. The trails we toured were a great ride. Great views abound everywhere, the trails required you to pay attention due to some very tight fits, especially for the LR3 and RRS as they are a bit bigger girls than the older trucks width wise. (paying attention so not to damage my truck did limit my picture taking).

Day 3 was more of the same, great trails great friends and amazing views. We did find breakfast at a local place right down the road. I had a BLT with a fried egg and a bacon maple donut (bacon does make it better) That night was the raffle items and all the vendors were out with some great giveaways for the Rover community. It finally started to rain late Saturday.

Day 4 was pack up and roll home, for me. So we broke camp and hit the road. For once this was not a 15 hour epic voyage but a measly 5.5 hours so it was nice.

The LR3 while it has a few minor mods, performed way better than I expected. I don't have a E-locker in the rear so just a CDL and once you get used to using the terrain response system the LR3 makes off roading easy.

So would I go to MAR again? Damn straight it was a great time and David Short (President of ROAV) put on a fantastic event. Already looking forward to next year, but it's not just the venue that makes it great, the people truly make it what it is. The Rover community is just made of awesome folks that embrace the adventure that makes Rovers great.

Big thank you to all my friends new and old for making this trip one for the books. Justin Erik, Brent, Rick, Andy, Randy, Kevin Jonesy and a dozen others that make these events memorable.

Next weekend, off to URE 14 at Uwarrie National Forest, than Roves on the Rocks in November.