Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   4X4 Events and Weekend Outings (https://landroverforums.com/forum/4x4-events-weekend-outings-34/)
-   -   Winching/Recovery Info (https://landroverforums.com/forum/4x4-events-weekend-outings-34/winching-recovery-info-82033/)

The Deputy 12-12-2016 05:48 AM

Winching/Recovery Info

Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive

Found this document interesting while researching winches and recovery methods. Thought I'd share, though I'm not sure if this is the right forum.

If it needs to be moved, moderators do whatever needs to be done.

Thank you,

Brian.

Street Wolf 12-12-2016 03:00 PM

Nice find. :pointup:

Charlie_V 12-14-2016 03:15 AM

That's a good read. Good find, Deputy.

clarkritchie 12-14-2016 01:05 PM

Reading now. Thanks for the link. This is also a good one.

Winching without the Worry | Expedition Portal

Street Wolf 12-14-2016 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by clarkritchie (Post 588023)

That is actually pretty nice, then again I'm a sucker for diagrams.

longtallsally 12-28-2016 10:46 AM

Pirate is a great place for info. You gotta tread REAL lightly there- those folks are ROUGH- but the knowledge of hard core action and general vehicle functionality is incredible. The fabrication abilities of some of the members is pretty amazing as well.

If I'm real straight, I take a lot of stuff on Expo with a grain of salt (not referring to the referenced article in this case, though). More often than not, it's about how much you spend, not necessarily what you've done. Scott Brady and some of the other folks are very knowledgeable and have done a huge amount in their lives, but again, some of it is a bit ridiculous for those of more realistic means.

The Deputy 01-02-2017 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by clarkritchie (Post 588023)

Just finished reading this, good stuff. Thank you, for adding the extra info.

Wish the articles covered..."how to spend the money on a winch without your wife finding out"...lol.

Brian.

TriggerPuller 01-12-2018 03:30 PM

I am sure you guys know this already but the multiple line rigging stuff is best practiced and tested before you get out to the bush- It is hard to replicate the resistance etc in your yard or a field but it is best to give it a go and hopefully have some experienced folks with you o make sure you are squared away.

When the wife and I lived in Utah and I had an early Bronco we used to enjoy going out with folks much more experienced than myself and I learned a lot- especially to practice practice practice. Stress and being potentially tired is not the time to mess begin messing with this stuff even if you have smart folks with you.