Appearance & Camping Set Ups Talk about your interior and exterior mods including camping and rooftop camper set ups here.

Bumper Restoration

Old 05-24-2015, 05:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Bumper Restoration

A guy is going to sell me this old factory bumper for cheap but it obviously needs major repair before I can consider installing it on my truck. Now, can this hole and the cracks be patched, and then use a heavy finish like truck-bed coating or plast-dip to coat the entire outer surface? I don't have any experience with repairing plastic like this but the only alternative is buying a $600 bumper new and I can't do that at this time. I appreciate the information

Attached Thumbnails Bumper Restoration-image.jpg  
Old 05-24-2015, 05:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Another pic

Originally Posted by chubbs878
A guy is going to sell me this old factory bumper for cheap but it obviously needs major repair before I can consider installing it on my truck. Now, can this hole and the cracks be patched, and then use a heavy finish like truck-bed coating or plast-dip to coat the entire outer surface? I don't have any experience with repairing plastic like this but the only alternative is buying a $600 bumper new and I can't do that at this time. I appreciate the information
Pictures wouldn't upload

Attached Thumbnails Bumper Restoration-image.jpg  
Old 05-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

that will cost a lot to repair , the hole , and is also warped , you would have to do some plastic welding , which is costly ( at least here ) not sure at your location , fibre grass is cheaper but will crack if bumped .. you may be better off looking for a more complete one .. that will just need paint

Old 05-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by justryan
that will cost a lot to repair , the hole , and is also warped , you would have to do some plastic welding , which is costly ( at least here ) not sure at your location , fibre grass is cheaper but will crack if bumped .. you may be better off looking for a more complete one .. that will just need paint

I can't, get some bondo for plastic, tape it on the backside, fill and sand? You mean I can't repair this with $40 worth of products from AutoZone?

Old 05-25-2015, 10:42 AM
Rock Crawling

are you going to keep this bumper , or is it a fix to sell ? either way its going to crack and look horrible , you will need some flexible filler that will flex under stress , and would with stand heat ( from the sun ) talk to you local dealer about the products ...they may have some miricle in a bottle with your name on it..

Oh An if you get it... send me some in the Caribbean ( we are limited here )

Old 05-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by justryan
are you going to keep this bumper , or is it a fix to sell ? either way its going to crack and look horrible , you will need some flexible filler that will flex under stress , and would with stand heat ( from the sun ) talk to you local dealer about the products ...they may have some miricle in a bottle with your name on it..

Oh An if you get it... send me some in the Caribbean ( we are limited here )

I'm wanting to put it on my truck until I can get a new one in the future. I just bought the thing less than 2 months ago, had a crash 1 week later and messed the front up, then water pump blows up, next the expansion tank fails, had to buy a headlight and tail light to pass the state inspection, along with one of the valves that was flashing emission code. I mean damn, I didn't want a Land Rover this bad! Needless to say I had over $1K in it before I even transferred the title WTF?

Anyway...

"I would suggest fiberglass cloth and resin for the areas missing material. The stuff used for boat repairs and surfboards, they sell it at auto parts stores also.

Reinforce from behind with at least one layer, then fill in the top with bondo.

For the hairline cracks use 2 part epoxy."

This was some info that I got. I will do a little more research on it. I'm sure there is something here that won't crack or stress right away. I live in Texas so they know better than to keep junk on the shelf. Temp stays well over 100 degrees from the end of June til the end of Aug.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling

cool sounds good .. good luck then.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I was planning to repair mine before I found a smoking deal on a steel bumper from a fellow forum member.

My plan was to us 3M panel Bond adhesive and imbed it with an open weave fiberglass cloth.
Amazon Amazon

I repaired the overhead panel on my GF's 1982 corvette in this manner. After 2 days of curing time, I sanded and blended the repair into the original material and it turned out well. When I cover it with the vinyl, the repair will be invisible.

Just for my own satisfaction, I may still see if this will work on my factory D2 bumper, then do a roll on bed liner since mine is only cracked in the center behind the front license plate mount.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I coated the front bumper on my LR3 with DIY bedliner spray. Turned out great.

Attached Thumbnails Bumper Restoration-e03d1add-3aa6-4b04-aeb1-dbdb1082f9b6.jpeg   Bumper Restoration-dd62c0b6-6d7a-473f-b93d-40580802e126.jpeg  
Old 10-10-2018, 12:21 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bumper Restoration