Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Appearance & Camping Set Ups (https://landroverforums.com/forum/appearance-camping-set-ups-9/)
-   -   Rack for my LR3, Baja, OEM, Voyager, or ProSpeed. Anyone interested in a group buy? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/appearance-camping-set-ups-9/rack-my-lr3-baja-oem-voyager-prospeed-anyone-interested-group-buy-56425/)

aaps59 02-02-2013 08:38 AM

Rack for my LR3, Baja, OEM, Voyager, or ProSpeed. Anyone interested in a group buy?

Heya, I have a 05 LR3 in Adriatic Blue. Im looking to add a expedition style rack to it. Id like this to be a fairly streamline rack, that fits the profile of the vehicle, fairly versatile, and can easily have driving lamps mounted upon.
From what I can find, these are the most popular rack choices.

Baja Rack
Baja Rack
Im not a fan of the logo on the front of the wind visor, and Im not sure about how easy it is to mount lights on this.
Seems to be very versatile. Have heard great things about it.

Land Rover OEM/G4 Rack
Land Rover Expedition Roof Rack Assy LR3 LR4 CAB500021PMA | eBay
I cant find this rack for sale anywhere except for eBay, and once in a while, on sale on a forum by a private user.
I hear these are very heavy and bulky, but I do like the looks of this one.
WELL over priced.

ProSpeed Rack
D4 Landmark with ProSpeed Rack | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Not too pricey, not loud, doesnt affect MPG, light mount coming in future
Located in England, shipping would be very expensive for me

Voyager Rack
Land Rover Discovery Series 3 LR3 LR4 Roof Racks
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ap...c...cks-47079/
Located in Florida, fast shipping to me, reasonably priced, free ladder ( I think?), discounts offered, streamline, light mountable
Reports of rust, poor weld quality.

What would you guys choose if you were in my position?
Id like something for just all around use, nothing specific.

I am located in America(NYC specifically) so international shipping is another factor. Id prefer to get something stateside, but if I cant agree with myself on something, Il look to the other continents.
If there is anyone that is interested in the ProSpeed, we can possibly do a groupbuy. If we get 5 people, they offer a 10% discount
Pricing for the ProSpeed is as followed.
ProSpeed Discovery 3&4 roof rack (glass roof version): 732.50 GBP

Shipping to NJ: 320 GBP

ALSO:
My LR3 has the glass roof, and the fin antenna on the roof.
Id like the sunroof to be operational after the rack install, but this isnt a requirement.

wreckdiver1321 02-02-2013 11:25 AM

Holy buckets... :O

That's like $1600 bucks.

Well, I have a BajaRack on my DII, and they are fantastic. The welds are good quality, and the coating is very durable. It actually wouldn't be too difficult to get rid of that logo. Got a big Philips screwdriver? The wind deflector comes off with 8 screws. Take it off and have it re-coated.

You can use them for anything, they're bombproof.

Oh, and the lights. If you look under "Accessories" on their site, you'll find various light bars. I'd be willing to bet you could mount one to your rack.

Just my $0.02

threalassmikeg 02-03-2013 06:27 AM

They all look nice. I'd be looking for feedback on wind noise.
I've got a Land Rover Expedition Rack, Not too noisy IMO, except
All the plastic rail riser covers rattled on it, I had to secure them with silicone.
Lamp installation is not a simple bolt on. I don't recall a lamp kit being available thru Land rover.
The others seem to have lots of accessory options that may better suit you.
In the grand scheme of things.. Whats $1600.00??
You spend that much for cell phone service a year.

aaps59 02-03-2013 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg (Post 375436)
They all look nice. I'd be looking for feedback on wind noise.
I've got a Land Rover Expedition Rack, Not too noisy IMO, except
All the plastic rail riser covers rattled on it, I had to secure them with silicone.
Lamp installation is not a simple bolt on. I don't recall a lamp kit being available thru Land rover.
The others seem to have lots of accessory options that may better suit you.
In the grand scheme of things.. Whats $1600.00??
You spend that much for cell phone service a year.

Yeah, pretty much heh.
Have you mounted lights on your rack?

The price for the ProSpeed would be cheaper but Id have to organize a group buy =/

threalassmikeg 02-03-2013 11:47 AM

I do not have lights mounted to mine. A few years back I did mount
4 lamps on one. It was more effort than it was worth at a dealer level and IMO it didnt come out that nice. It looked good from a distance but you could see the mounting "mess" through the sunroof when you looked up.

aaps59 02-03-2013 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg (Post 375501)
I do not have lights mounted to mine. A few years back I did mount
4 lamps on one. It was more effort than it was worth at a dealer level and IMO it didnt come out that nice. It looked good from a distance but you could see the mounting "mess" through the sunroof when you looked up.

Makes me wonder if it was like that when they mounted it for the G4 challenge cars.

driver_42 03-11-2013 09:15 PM

Aaps, did you go ahead and buy a rack? I have been looking for one as well. Having a look at the list you first had the baja I think is the one I am moswt interested. Would also like to hear if there is anyone with wind noise feed back also.

aaps59 03-11-2013 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by driver_42 (Post 384429)
Aaps, did you go ahead and buy a rack? I have been looking for one as well. Having a look at the list you first had the baja I think is the one I am moswt interested. Would also like to hear if there is anyone with wind noise feed back also.

Nope havent got around to it.

driver_42 03-13-2013 08:53 PM

Hey aaps, want to thank you for posting the list. Just put my order in for the baja br-lr-lr3-exp. Also ordered a tepui tent to mount on top.

aaps59 03-13-2013 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by driver_42 (Post 384917)
Hey aaps, want to thank you for posting the list. Just put my order in for the baja br-lr-lr3-exp. Also ordered a tepui tent to mount on top.

No problem!
Happy I could help.