Appearance & Camping Set Ups Talk about your interior and exterior mods including camping and rooftop camper set ups here.

Removing doors

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing doors

Hey guys,

So, I think I am going to try and make my front doors on my truck/car/suv (I dont think it was ever decided what a Land Rover should actually be considered as) semi removable, for the days I take it off road, and I needed some thoughts. I am reluctant to experament with this at the moment because its cold as ..... outside, and if I cant get the door to line up properly, I am going to be out of luck.

So this is my thought. The pins that hold the two pieces of the door hinge together; replace them with a straight through bolt that replaces both pins. When I want the doors off, simply take that bolt out, and then take the doors off. When I want the doors on, just line up the holes, and put the bolt through them.

Will that screw with the alignment of the doors, making them impossible to close, or, should it be straightforward? Every time I have taken a door off, I have always ran into problems getting it lined back up, but I have never removed one by separating the hinges.

Attached Thumbnails Removing doors-f4.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

What about all the electrical items in the door, like switch that operates central locking system and alarm? Windows?

Old 01-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Rock Crawling

I actually just started thinking about this, and asked about it on another forum, but along those lines, what would you recommend? Is there any way I can just pull a fuse for the alarm somewhere? Its not like I am going to need an alarm when the two front doors are off. And it wont be to hard to make a connector for all the wires that I can just unplug, and plug back in when the door goes back on. Thoughts?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The RAVE wiring diagrams are your friend. Of course, don't go to extremes...

Attached Thumbnails Removing doors-disco-cutaway.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Doors off in fifteen seconds, back on in 30. including hooking the wiring back up

Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forget about the doors bro, that headliner is frickin awesome

Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The headliner really is awesome. How did you rig the quick release of the doors? Thinking about doing the same on the rears as well?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, and the quick release was as simple as taking off the pins that hold the hinges together, and taking that black piece out. With the black piece out you have to worry about the door opening too far, but if your aren't careless, that shouldnt be an issue. And, I put the wiring connections inside the door hinge area so they unplug from there. Literally took maybe 20 minutes for both sides. I have no current intrest in taking the rears off, but it should be the same process.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take a mud bath offroad if it did that! Guess it would be pretty good with a skinnier tire.

Quick Reply: Removing doors