Appearance & Camping Set Ups Talk about your interior and exterior mods including camping and rooftop camper set ups here.

You gotta see this...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You gotta see this...

This is what happens when you let your kids pick out the material for a headliner refit...

You gotta see this...-roof.jpg

Yes, that is a "furry giraffe" material.

It isn't completed - I have to tie up some lose ends but this was my first attempt to re-upholster a headliner. 10 hours and a 12 pack of cold ones to get this far.

My girls love it and I think I have a chance to get my truck on "Africa's Pimp My Ride"!!

Started out with a nice brown faux leather vinyl that would have looked real sharp but my girls said it was dull and boring and talked me into this.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:47 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow....actually it doesn't look bad.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Winching

Super Pimp'n! and the nice thing about the Disco, with the head room and stadium seating a supafly pimp will have no trouble when he has to lay down a smack to the back!

lol, actually I kinda like it.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You need the paint job to match

Old 04-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Drifting
Talking

I'm concidering doing the outside with something to match. Or maybe just some highlights on the exterior. Might be my first go on an airbrush.

It's been a week and I still look up and laugh at stop lights. And have people looking over with strange expressions on their faces.

I plan on pulling the door inserts and doing those as well. Along with making some pillows for the kids with the vinyl on one side and the giraffe on the other so they have their travel pillows to match. Good thing I got this truck with minor wear and tear so I have a reason to goof off with it.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Overlanding
Smile looks great

I like it!!!https://landroverforums.com/forum/im...cons/icon7.gif what did you use for adhesive ?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Drifting

I used 3M Super 90 spray adhesive. One can did the entire job. I set the nozzle control to 1, the lowest setting, and used a liberal amount.

I found on the vinyl the glue caused a bubbling that went away after about 24 hours.

The stuff is super sticky but you have about 10 minutes to make adjustments before it sets. The little liner I did pull on is stuck! I'm actually concerned I won't be able to pull it back in some spots to do the trimming.

I planned to just re-adhere the original liner but after shooting it with 3M 70 Spray Adhesive and allowing to dry for about 20 minutes you could pull it right up as if you didn't spray anything on it. So I pulled it completely and scraped the crusty foam off the shell, wiped it down with Goo Gone and allowed it dry over night with a fan on it. Came back the next morning wiped it down with a dry towel and started fitting the vinyl.

I've never attempted anything like this before but figured it wouldn't be too hard. It wasn't bad but there were a lot of little things I learned from one side of the liner to the other. !!! USE 2 PEOPLE !!! I tried doing most of this myself with my wife coming and going as I worked. Two people would have cut the time in half (duh).

Anyway it wasn't that bad and worth a shot if you need to have your's replaced.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

If you have any left over you could get some seat covers made up !

Old 04-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Drifting

Not sure about that one. That material has got some business going on. I can't imagine having it all over. Thinking about doing the door inserts with it or doing a whole safari theme with different animal patterns.

Or maybe I'll quit while I'm ahead and before the truck looks like it should be in the next NatGeo Wild episode.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:10 PM
4wd High

Looks good. Gotta have fun with it. I just pulled my headliner last week and have been trying to decide what to do. I may have to look a little more into animal prints.

How clean did you have to get it before you put the new material on?

Quick Reply: You gotta see this...