Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

04 DII Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 07:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

A little more on what was finished up this weekend. My wife only had a couple things that she "had to have" on the Rover, and a snorkel was one of them. In addition to getting the snorkel installed I was also able to install both front and rear differential skids installed. I didn't get pictures of the skids so I'll have to get those posted.

For those of you familiar with the Southdown snorkel you'll notice something different about this one. I worked with Southdown before purchasing the snorkel to see what they could come up with for an elbow. I didn't want to run their typical snorkel end, and wanted to use a Donaldson Top Spin filter instead. They were able to bend, and stretch an end fitting for me that allowed me to mount the Top Spin filter vertically.

Here's a post of the new snorkel. I went with the snorkel from Southdown, and painted it with bedliner.

Name:  20170529_190707_zpslifnfte0.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  280.5 KB
Name:  20170529_190735_zps7hncvqf7.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  239.8 KB
Name:  20170529_190722_zps7bnvsonl.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  203.3 KB

Last edited by Mstudt; 05-30-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Rock Crawling

I think the final purchase has now been made. To say I'm not happy with our current Terrafirma lift is an extreme understatement. We've blown 3 front shocks in 2 years, and the rear springs are sagging badly. After a lengthy discussion with GBR Utah we pulled the trigger on a new OEM lift. We ended up going with OME Heavy Duty springs all around for our added weight. For the springs we went with 60024L on the front, 60025L on the rear, and SD02 for steering. I should have everything by the end of the week, and I'm gunning for an install by the end of the weekend.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had OME springs/shocks on several vehicles over the years. They should treat you right. It's sad to hear that the TF stuff is that bad, but for the price point I guess it makes sense.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Mskembo
I've had OME springs/shocks on several vehicles over the years. They should treat you right. It's sad to hear that the TF stuff is that bad, but for the price point I guess it makes sense.
The price point is what sold me on them. I of all people should have know better in the first place, but my wife also didn't want to shell out more than double for the OME stuff at that time.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

What a shame. I've run TF before and had some good luck. You aren't the first I've heard complaining about them though. I wish they'd do some quality control if that's the case. Even if the price has to go up a bit. Like you said double the cost sometimes isn't possible.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
What a shame. I've run TF before and had some good luck. You aren't the first I've heard complaining about them though. I wish they'd do some quality control if that's the case. Even if the price has to go up a bit. Like you said double the cost sometimes isn't possible.
I'm shocked they haven't started some kind of quality control by now since I know this is an ongoing issue. I brought this to Atlantic British's attention, and they acted like this was something they've never heard of. I tried getting them to warranty the shocks, and they wouldn't honor the warranty. I also couldn't get an answer from TF about warranties either.

Either way it's a safe bet I won't be running TF lifts anymore.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mstudt
I'm shocked they haven't started some kind of quality control by now since I know this is an ongoing issue. I brought this to Atlantic British's attention, and they acted like this was something they've never heard of. I tried getting them to warranty the shocks, and they wouldn't honor the warranty. I also couldn't get an answer from TF about warranties either.

Either way it's a safe bet I won't be running TF lifts anymore.
Wait a second... You blew out three shocks in two years and they wouldn't honor the warrantee???

That just scratched them off of my list for good.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Mskembo
Wait a second... You blew out three shocks in two years and they wouldn't honor the warrantee???

That just scratched them off of my list for good.
That's correct. I have a hard enough time getting Atlantic British to return an email let alone warranty a product. Hell, I'm still waiting on a refund for last month that they still haven't processed.

I pulled the TF lift off this past weekend, and installed my new OME kit. Of the 4 shocks I removed only 1 of them was still good. The other three had zero rebound, and two of them had zero fluid left inside. I would definitely stay away from TF suspension products.

Last edited by Mstudt; 06-09-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:39 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mstudt
That's correct. I have a hard enough time getting Atlantic British to email return an email let alone warranty a product. Hell, I'm still waiting on a refund for last month that they still haven't processed.

I pulled the TF lift off this past weekend, and installed my new OME kit. Of the 4 shocks I removed only 1 of them was still good. The other three had zero rebound, and two of them had zero fluid last inside. I would definitely stay away from TF suspension products.
Hey Mstudt! I'm with Atlantic British, please PM me your information (name, email, and customer number) and I will get to the bottom of this for you. I'm very sorry that you've had such a poor experience with us and I would like to correct that as quickly as possible.

The following 2 users liked this post by AtlanticBritish:
Andythelandy (02-16-2021), Mstudt (06-06-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, I gave in and took the Rover into the shop yesterday. I've been unable to get the temps under control, and my time is too short to do this on my own. I received a call today to say that the likely culprit is a faulty t-stat. They said the t-stat works some of the time, and other times it's not. Which is basically what I was seeing as well. The burped the system since there was a small pocket, and that helped a little.

We're getting a new t-stat installed, flushed system, and a bottle Water Wetter added on Monday. At the end of the phone call I was told about how nice of a vehicle I have. The owner of the shop wants me to give him a walk around of everything once we come to pick it up.

Hopefully we'll be picking her up on Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: 04 DII Build Thread