Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

My other build (04 D2):

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts
Default My other build (04 D2):

Back right before summer I bought an 04 S D2 in Vienna Green with a black interior. It had a few misc interior items to fix, flashing M&S, random 3 Amigos, but it’s biggest flaw was low oil pressure at idle.

I bought it, and got it home and within a few days I fixed the interior issues (broken push out cubby’s), dead S model stereo, and a broken horn button. I also paracord wrapped the nasty steering wheel. Replaced the battery, swapped out the XYZ switch, and performed Option B on the ABS modulator.

Then it sat for a few months as work was pretty busy over the summer. I was just about to tear into the engine to inspect the oil pump, but something told me not to, and then 4 days later Hurricane Harvey hit. Thank goodness I didn’t have it torn down & unable to move!!! After things started to get back to normal I finally had a day off to attack it. I installed a spare front timing cover with a rebuilt oil pump, and put it all together, not finding anything out of the ordinary inside the engine. Cranked it up, and once it warmed up the oil pressure light was back on at idle.....

In the meantime I installed some 3inch RTE springs, and I cleaned up the front headlights. I also swapped out the 16inch wheels for a set of 18inch Proline wheels with larger tires. Electrical equipment on this D2 is flawless and all the windows, and door locks work perfectly. HVAC is good, and all mechanical parts minus the low oil pressure are in great shape. Interior is super clean with no rips in the seats, new headliner, and the rear jump seats work properly. Zero rust, no sun roofs to worry about, and besides a few door dings/scratches it’s as close to new as you will find thes days.

I’ve been looking for a replacement engine and it looks like I’ve finally located one, so I’m either going to rebuilt it with it out of the D2 (much easier), and do the HG’s, timing cover, and new water pump if time allows. That way I won’t have to worry about that for a good while, or possibly do what my wife wants me to do and sell it as is with the replacement motor included, and get myself another D2 that won’t take so much time.

The engine I’ll be getting my hands on came from an 04 that was running and driving great before a rather large Pine Tree decided to fall on it. Owner says I could slap it and be fine, but I’m a Boy Scout and I like to Be Prepared lol. I trust him as I’ve already installed his original transmission and transfer case into a friends 03 D2.

I have a shop, but I’ll have to get an engine stand, and hoist to do the work.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

My 04 D2 in Vienna Green lived most of it's life in the Houston area. Looks like the same dumb *** refinished my WW trim.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

I got this one up near Dallas, and it spent most of it’s life in LA before I bought it. It was originally a LR Loaner/Rental, then sold to private parties.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Have you checked oil pressure with mechanical gauge? Sensors do go bad on occasion.

Nice looking rig, following along on the build.

Brian.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

I’ve changed the sensor twice, and I’m going to connect a mechanical gauge I just need some fittings.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I’ve changed the sensor twice

"Third time's a charm"...or is it..."Three strikes and you're out"...lol

Do you get any ticking from valve train? Mechanical gauge will tell the story though.

Brian.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

No ticking or knocking from the engine, and I honestly think it's the camshaft bearings. I'll be picking up the replacement engine this weekend, and I'll start tearing down the 04 engine compartment slowly when I have time.

Last edited by Best4x4; 01-30-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Picked up the 04’s replacement engine. It was out of a very good running 03 D2, but a tree fell on the D2 and totaled it. When I went to pickup the engine the first thing I noticed was the front timing cover. It was a P38 style vs D2, so I honestly think the original 03 engine took a dump, and it was replaced with a 4.6L out of a P38 RR. If it was just the timing cover most of the time a D2 style like what came off is installed.

I’ll be very happy if it is indeed out of a P38! I’m going to remove all the auxiliary hardware (ps pump, alternator, AC compressor), and the destroyed wiring harness & misc cut lines. Then I’m going to do the HG’s while it’s out of the D2, and inspect/replace the oil pump gears. After that I’ll start getting the 04 ready for it’s engine removal, and go from there. Not in any kind of rush, so we’ll see how it goes.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Had time today after work to remove the old wiring harness and all the accessories. I’ll be ordering the HG Kit, and Front Cover Kit this week.

Last edited by Best4x4; 02-07-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Love that green. When your done w it ship it up here please and thank you.

Quick Reply: My other build (04 D2):