Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

2001 Dll Mild Ambitious Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 11:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Yes, used some material off the rear seats that will no longer be used.

Brian.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Nicely done

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (09-23-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 03:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Maybe this picture is clear...er.

Plate is just sitting in there, need to fab up some small brackets for mounting...after all wiring is done. Have to find a dash light source, since each switch is lighted.

Quite nice out today, so heading to the garage. It's amazing how difficult things are in the cold. Last Saturday it was 28° F and even the simplest thing, like using electrical tape is a basta*d...or stripping wire ends...again...basta*d of a time. A job that should have taken half hour took two.

Usually I say, "Not complaining, just explaining." But today...it's the opposite.

Brian.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Camel Trophy

Switch plate in and wired. Lighted switches up and operational.

Just headlights. (Yes, it was 65 degrees here Wednesday)

Headlights and driving lights. Not really showing much difference, in the pictures, but there was.

Drilled a hole in the dash and mounted switch for activating power to winch switches. Yes, it is "suppose" to light up when turned on...but it's from China...nothing more needs to be said. But, like they say..."nothing last forever".

Brian.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:19 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Recovery points.

Round tube braces that I welded inside the spare tire mount. These should stiffen it up some.

All flopped over and new spare in place.

The girls...

And the boys for good measure...

Brian.
I see your a 928 enthusiast? Great looking cars man! How they looking underneath and mechanically? Perhaps a separate Porsche build thread is in order?

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (09-23-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 03:22 PM
TReK

Back in business, stud welded in and reinstalled hi-lift. Cut a bit of the pipe threads off the mounting plate, pulled the lift tighter up against the tire.

35F today, may go out and wire up the front lights and work on mounting/wiring switches inside drivers compartment for winch.

Plus, I may change the oil one more time, since drowning. Changed it afterwards, have driven about 100 miles since. Just feels like one more change ain't going to hurt anything. Maybe l'll run some seafoam or rislone through it first.

MAN...I HATE USING MY WIFE'S TABLET...THE SPELL CHECK IS THE WORSE EVER. TEN WORDS WERE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO WHAT I SPELLED.

Brian.
Interesting mounting location for the hi-lift. I was considering the spare tire mount but Im concerned about the extra weight and stress being applied to the rear cargo door. Factor in the weight of the beefier tire and the jack......

Old 03-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I see your a 928 enthusiast? Great looking cars man! How they looking underneath and mechanically? Perhaps a separate Porsche build thread is in order?
It would take forever and a day to do a restoration thread...so l'll just go this route.

Old red - 1978 928 #225

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...storation.html

Brian.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Interesting mounting location for the hi-lift. I was considering the spare tire mount but Im concerned about the extra weight and stress being applied to the rear cargo door. Factor in the weight of the beefier tire and the jack......
Truth be told...the larger tire (265/75/16) rest on the rear bumper. So, it kind of supports it some. Plus, I beefed up the tire bracket to avoid flexing/vibration issues. Time will tell, if it all's stays in place.

Brian.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:20 PM
TReK

Truth be told...the larger tire (265/75/16) rest on the rear bumper. So, it kind of supports it some. Plus, I beefed up the tire bracket to avoid flexing/vibration issues. Time will tell, if it all's stays in place.

Brian.
I see. I was thinking more along the lines of added stress on the door hinges and the pin mechanism that prevents the door from swinging out of control. I wonder if its possible for added stresses to actually warp the door in such a way to interfere with the door seals and such. But if it works then cheers.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:00 AM
Camel Trophy

I guess...time will tell. I've been 4-wheeling about four times since the larger spare tire...but haven't been out (unfortunately) since adding hi-lift. And there are surely some problematic issues with a barn door that large.

Eventually, l'd like to build a rear winch bumper...and actually have it a bit lower at the top. If you've ever tried to open this rear door while there is snow or ice on the rear bumper...you'll know full and well why it would be nice an inch or so lower. Pretty stupid engineering, between the clearance and end caps of the bumper making it hard to remove ice or snow...you get an inch of ice on the bumper and you aren't getting it open. Anyhow, rant over...lol.

Brian.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dll Mild Ambitious Build