Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The discovering Discos aren’t junk resto DD buildo threado dealio

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts

Oh yeah, forgot the fuel pump. Rock Auto rules. $120 vs $3-600 for an OEM.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Next up will be to finish the headliner. I decided to do something fun for the kids and we got a cool world map material. We’re all set to put it on, but with winter and other stuff, if probably won’t be done till spring. I’ll be doing some sound deadening and punch that dent out a bit when I get the existing headliner out. Also, the rear sunroof mechanism is wasted, so I’ve got one waiting to be installed as well. Lastly I’ll do the C pillar trip then too. I’ll truly be in a maintenance state at that point...

Old 01-13-2019, 01:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Fell asleep reading your first post last night, not out of boredom...exhaustion (worked on my rover all day). Woke up this morning...and l was treated to several more posts. Good coffee drinking material. I'd followed along somewhat over on Expedition Portal, so the rollover was known about. But, l don't think you mentioned about being on a ramp. Kind of wondered how in the world it rolled just loosing a tire...but now it makes sense.

It sure is nice having a parts rover though. Free parts and no waiting for shipping.

Looking forward to following along.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks! It really has been a lot of fun. Initially this was just to be a style exercise and a means of having a tinker toy for a vehicle. Now, it has earned its place in being a great machine capable truly of wh@t the initial intent of an SUV are. I have:

- Done a 1600 mile family trip to include a hundred or so miles in low range off road
- Towed another car
- Done some relatively difficult off road to include some wheel stands (I can’t upload videos here of that)
- Commuted in it like any other sedan
- Carried 7 people around
- Carried hundreds of pounds of stuff both on the rack
- Started and driven it when it was so cold, the cluster wouldn’t come on for 10-15 minutes
- Drove in 110F weather a good distance quite a bit

I mean it’s nuts how much versatility it has brought to the table. The best part? Once I sorted out all the issues that were more neglect/ignorance than anything, it’s been nothing but oil changes. Dare I say, I trust it now.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Don't know how long you've had the rock auto fuel pump, but the gray rover l just bought has one, installed just before l bought it (previous owner thought that was the no run issue). Anyhow, mine ran out of fuel with a 1/8 tank showing on the gauge. And it stays on full...for a long, long time compared to the other two Dll's we have. Filled it the other day and it took 21 gallons on the 1/4 tank mark. My old 01, which l drove daily for two years and ran it down to E several times...only took about 22.5 gallons on E.

Just thought l'd mention my findings.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Hey Brian, the Rock Auto pump has been in there for 3 months and I dunno 5k miles? It’s been perfect. I’ve been working on getting the Ultragauge economy correct (just about there) and in so doing have been watching the trip odometer pretty close to where the gauge is, and it’s pretty darn good as near as I can tell. At a minimum, it’s as good as the one I took out, which seemed equally accurate. I tend to go by the odo for when to get fuel (call it a by product of riding motorcycles for so many years) so I guess no complaints. The other pump was fine as well- it was just leaking and figured I didn’t want fuel anywhere but in the tank or engine...

Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Nicely done longtallsally. These trucks are tinker toys. Once you understand them you can pretty much fix anything.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Not really part of the “build” but typical funny Disco action nonetheless.

A while back I got a P1171 code. As we all know, even 3rd grade level Google fu garners the exact fix for ANYTHING on a Disco. So I put in the MAF from the parts truck. Worked great for a couple months. I just got the same code again last night. Well, in anticipation, I got some MAF cleaner and used it last night and cleared the code. Sure enough, no code this morning, but I’ll be ordering a new one as a spare.

I’ve also ordered a full pulley and tensioner kit as well as serpentine belt just to have the stuff.

Part of the fun was taking 10 minutes last night to “fix” the code, and is what has in many ways endeared me to the Disco. It sounds nuts to have to monkey with something all the time, but I have a pretty stressful job and it’s cathartic to forget about work from time to time.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

I have always found wrenching to be very therapeutic regardless of jobs etc

Nothing feels better than accomplishing something with a positive outcome no matter how large or small the task is

Old 01-21-2019, 10:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

A couple quick things as of recent. I decided to put see if a metal storage box I had in the Jeep would work and sure enough, it fit perfectly. I mean, to the degree it looks like it was built for the Disco perfectly. Best part is I got the thing a few years ago from CL for $50 or so. It doesn’t live in there, but it easily installed for camping trips.

Next, I had wanted to add some interior lights: some for ambient, some for better visibility. The green ones are a bit too bright (despite being wired to the lighter and thus connected to the dimmer), and I’ll probably just put something over them or add a rheostat or the like, but it doesn’t impact my night vision at all.

Oh yeah, finally put the correct sticker on for the CDL.

Next was the cargo area. These are a huge help as I don’t retract the cover very often and now in the winter months, I couodnt see jack in the cargo area with no sunlight.

Last for lighting will be a couple map lights. I’ve got the parts, but just no time to install. Should be pretty nifty and look close to OEM.

Quick Reply: The discovering Discos aren’t junk resto DD buildo threado dealio