Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The discovering Discos aren’t junk resto DD buildo threado dealio

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Icannap1
You can always add a resistor inline with the LED that will cut down on the brightness.
Originally Posted by Saturnine
I think hes saying that you can lower the brightness of your LED light in the last pic to make a better pic?

I must have been pretty punchy when I read the initial reply. He’s saying I can reduce the brightness of my stylish ambient lighting with a resistor. Thats probably a good idea. I need to research exactly how much resistance I need...

Originally Posted by stillruns
Is that a city or town down below in the shot out the passenger window? Looks like a lot of fun driving.
It is. This is very pretty in the summer as well. And yes, Utah wins for scenery. I’m a big dual sport bike guy too, and I’m a total kid in a candy store here.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:16 AM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, I meant you can add a resistor inline with the LED and lower the brightness to match the brightness of your other lights.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

OK, as it relates to the Disco, I’m kind of a target of opportunity buyer most of the time. I got a good deal on some used rock sliders and just finished putting them on. They are the Terrafirma ones and are... meh, better than plastic. Thee annoying part was having to hog out the holes to get everything to line up. I still don’t have all the bolts in there, but they ain’t going anywhere, and again, better than plastic in the mean time. I can definitely say I’m done now with the style exercise... Until I decide to do bumpers... and a winch... and larger tires...

Old 02-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Looking good!

Also, if you are having a hard time getting that front hole drilled, because the doors in the way. I just popped the tappered pin out of the door stop bracket. Just be careful you don't open the door to far and damage paint.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 02-02-2019 at 03:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
longtallsally (02-02-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love what you've done with the truck. I had the exact same idea for the headliner for whatever rig I end up with. Do you have any finished pictures of it?

Old 04-07-2019, 09:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I’ve tried to respond to the thread a few times, but I’m usually on an iPad for personal surfing and the site has its idiosyncrasies when doing so and trying to addd pictures and the like.

In any event, to answer the above question, we’re not quite done with the headliner yet. Based on family and career stuff (as well as winter), we’ve just not had time. The material is cut and ready, but we still need to glue it on.

While I’m in there the plan is to fix the C pillar trim, whang out the big dent in the rear, and put some sound deadening in as well as fix the rear sunroof.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle

OK, I’ll try to do another update. I had a bit of a scare in getting a misfire and after talking to Tom at GBR he said it might be a cracked block! I went home and got the tester and thankfully it came out positive.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle

So I guess since that update worked, I’ll just do smaller posts. Anyway, the plugs from each bank were clean, and the misfire came consistently from just cylinder 6 (the picture was the only time I ever saw a misfire on a different cylinder), I decided that this must be coils due to passing the exhaust gas test from above.

Despite the keyboard cowboys on the failbook groups thinking I’m an idiot for wanting to simplify and save time, I’m a fan of Gerry’s kit. A couple hundred bucks is worth my time to not have to remove the hood, upper intake, drain the coolant, and do all the other crap “while you’re in there”. If you do the kit, or your own home made version, remember to get the longer plug wires. It’s not OEM perfect, but I’d definitely recommend it. I went with NGK plugs and since I don’t have SAI, they took minutes to replace.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Something to keep in mind as you can see from the above pictures, is the kit doesn’t take into account for having the ACE plumbing in there. Putting the securing bolt where I did pinched the bracket for the cooling line and it looks to be holding well, so. I think it’s OK.

I guess the last fix/upgrade from recently was when Lucky8 had a sale on new tie rod and drag link. No more clunk up front.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I’m back to just using it again, and I did a trip to Death Valley. As you may recall, one of the uses for the Disco is for more comfortable little bike trip transport. This was my second trip with the Disco as such, and it was again prettty much flawless. It is PAINFULLY slow, to the degree I can’t do the speed limit a lot of times, but it just makes the already bad economy worse. I saw 201F twice on the trip and for about ten seconds each time. This included 2 rough climbs out of Panamint Springs and again over Daylight Pass where I needed 2nd gear for about 10 miles each time. The fan clutch actuated at strange times/temps, but whatever. About 1200 miles total and I took the “back” way.

Quick Reply: The discovering Discos aren’t junk resto DD buildo threado dealio