Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Build Threads (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/)
-   -   It's not a Rover build thread, MGB with Ford 302 power :D (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/its-not-rover-build-thread-mgb-ford-302-power-d-73416/)

ihscouts 06-01-2015 05:34 PM

LOL!!!!!

There are many self serving folks out here, not many serve selflessly.

Didn't take me long to understand, I got just as wrapped up in it as you. It's a brilliant conversion on many levels.

http://zombiedrive.com/images/1994-s...s-series-9.jpg

ArmyRover 06-02-2015 09:41 PM

So I have been chasing a vibration:

1. Driveshaft replaced with known good with brand new u-joints... Nope
2. Rear suspension found a loose shock but everything else is good.... Nope
3. Drained and filled the diff, oil was clean and at proper level no metal shavings... Nope
4. Checked rear brakes.... Nope
5. Checked front wheel bearings..... Nope
6. Found worn brake pad, new pads installed.... Nope
7. Checked front suspension..... Nope
8. Checked motor and trans mounts..... Nope
9. Replaced alternator found bad bearing.... Nope
10. Checked manual trans oil level, found some metal shavings residue on the dip stick, drained and filled. Definite metal shavings in oil. Some improvement, in the vibration. Thinking something in the tranny is eating itself.

Also noted that the head is leaking a little bit of coolant between 2 and 3 a common spot for a head crack on the MGB motor...... Going to swap on my winter set of wheels and tires this weekend. See if that makes any difference in it.

ArmyRover 06-06-2015 09:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Picked up some LED Driving lights plan on putting them flush into the grill and they will bolt in behind it for a nice clean look. Light output is 1900 lumens so might be able to drive with them instead of headlights lol.

The question is where to mount them.

Center, Middle or Outer Edge

ihscouts 06-07-2015 06:35 AM

You have a dilemma....... all three look good. Where do you want the most light at night?

TOM R 06-07-2015 06:59 AM

i agree all look good, last pic is my choice

ArmyRover 06-07-2015 10:25 AM

I played with the lights a bit more last night. It looks like the mesh grill doesn't block much of the light so I may try putting them behind the grill so you only see them if you really looking or there on.

I to like either splitting the difference or the outside placement.

Light isn't much of a problem up front anymore but I like having driving lights. The headlights are KC 7" round housings, with a 5k HID Kit. The only downside to the setup is no high beams, not that it really bothers me.

ArmyRover 06-07-2015 10:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I went with splitting the difference behind the grill mounting.

Attachment 35599

Attachment 35600

Attachment 35601

ihscouts 06-08-2015 03:51 PM

Educated guess but if you had moved them further apart the grill's shroud might have blocked the diffused light (towards the curbs) mounted behind the screen. In the current location your getting everything, beam and diffused. Good choice from what I see.

ArmyRover 06-08-2015 05:30 PM

I honestly went with split the difference so i wouldn't have to relocate the washer bottle and horn. I think it worked out well though lol

ArmyRover 06-15-2015 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been doing a lot of general maintenance items, adjusting the valves, oil change, adjusting the carb. I was poking through the for sale items on the MG forum and scored a SCCA certified double hoop roll bar. I kinda dig it and it will make my dad and wife happy for a just a bit more safety. It should be here next week, the pic is one from a mg parts vendors website.

ArmyRover 06-24-2015 12:26 AM

Since I have the week off from work, I decided to finally install a christmas present. My dad had gotten me a patriot 3 into 1 header. Supposed to be a direct fit and mate with the stock exhaust.

So that fairy tale was no where near reality. Had to dismantle half the engine on the drivers side to install it. Than found the easiest way to get it in place was to install it from the bottom up. Than with it in place the down pipe portion that makes the 90 degree turn I find is not a 90 and is angling down to the ground and sits as low if not lower than the muffler (that drags on everything). Did I mention it's a larger diameter than the stock pipes and does not line up to anything.

Took it to a local ma and pa exhaust shop, 45 min later and $80 out of pocket complete 2" exhaust with a custom made down pipe and the exhaust is tucked away better than the factory ever did. The MGB sounds fantastic and I couldn't be happier.

Did a 250 mile road trip in her today with the top down and have the sunburn to prove it....

Got home and started tearing it down for it's next dip job.

ArmyRover 06-25-2015 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And the teaser, hopefully tomorrow I'll have it all back together and be able to get some decent pictures

drowssap 06-25-2015 07:00 AM

very low key, it should blend right in with the other B's

ArmyRover 06-25-2015 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Slow progress with the rain and notich room to work in the garage.

Attachment 35532

ArmyRover 06-25-2015 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 35530

Shiftonthefly1 06-25-2015 10:06 PM

Dig the sh@#t outta that.

ArmyRover 06-26-2015 12:16 AM

Thanks Shift

drowssap 06-26-2015 05:22 AM

very nice

ArmyRover 06-26-2015 02:44 PM

Thank you Drowssap

ArmyRover 06-29-2015 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got out with a few local plasti dip guys and took some pictures. Unfortunately photobucket and I are not getting along right now so I'll upload one.

ArmyRover 06-29-2015 10:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok apparently it will work on my phone, but not my laptop...

Attachment 35515

Attachment 35516

TOM R 07-07-2015 02:02 PM

i hate you, making me want one of these shoe boxes lol, looks great

ArmyRover 07-17-2015 11:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tom thanks they are contagious like Rovers. Between the Disco II, 110 and the MGB I have my free time covered lol.

I did take a little side trip at lunch today in the DII

Attachment 35411

I picked that up out of a 2000 Explorer 5.0 roller cam, GT40P heads and it's going in the MGB. I decided against the rotary motor...

Attachment 35412

ArmyRover 07-31-2015 07:15 PM

So far only a bit of progress.

I picked up a used rubber bumper car front suspension cross member. That is being shipped to the kit builder for modification. He is also building my new drive shaft, headers and trans mount as part of the kit. ETA is about 2 weeks on that bit of kit.

In the mean time all the useless fuel injection bits have been removed along with the accessories that won't be required. So everything but the alternator bracket and water pump lol.

I have the new radiator, starter, gasket kit, valve covers air filter and camshaft on the way as well. Still need to decide on the intake and I already have a 650 holley double pumper laying around. This will be a mild cam E303 and some minor clean up work on the heads. Nothing to wild. My goal is just 250ish HP. In a car this light I think that will be enough to make me smile for some time.

Still on the lookout for a ford mustang T-5 transmission. I have 10 days off later in August and I am really looking forward to spending some time on this.

First will be getting the old motor trans etc out of the engine bay. Followed by a good clean up and spraying it in black or battleship gray. Lots to do, but my hope is to have it back on the road by fall.

ArmyRover 08-10-2015 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anxiously awaiting the install kits arrival.... Apparently I'm the 157th nut case to order a kit since my crossmember serial number is 000157

ArmyRover 08-10-2015 10:08 PM

Just got a email from Mantell the kit will be ready for pick up on Friday!

drowssap 08-12-2015 08:36 AM

that looks like one hell of a nice drop in kit

ArmyRover 08-12-2015 11:43 AM

Drow, the kit is top notch from everything I have read. Pete at Mantell has been a pleasure to deal with and is quick to answer my dumb questions.

It is still going to take a lot of work, with modifying the foot wells relocating the radiator trimming the support panel for the rad and opening the holes in the inner fenders for the headers.

It's going to be ugly but I think it will really be worth it for the outcome

drowssap 08-12-2015 12:57 PM

but your not putting a LR v8 in so it will be a one time deal.

ArmyRover 08-12-2015 01:38 PM

lol very true. They do have a kit for that as well. I just can't see putting a motor that can't take being hot and stuffing it in a little engine bay with bad air flow.... Oh and it costs more to do than the 302

drowssap 08-13-2015 05:50 AM

will you still have to use that double sump pan, or can you use a different pan

ArmyRover 08-13-2015 09:06 AM

It calls for the the fox body double sump to be used, I have one laying around from my mustang days but I am going to see how it works with the rear sump set up from the explorer first. It doesn't look to be much different overall depth wise.

I'm going on the theory that the kit was designed with the best most common option available at the time.

drowssap 08-13-2015 09:37 AM

fox body double sumps are terrible, first off they wrought from the inside out. secondly all the swill get caught in the front sump with the timing chain, then it washes back blocking the pickup.
i have a buddy who worked for the local police after dropping umteen oil pans to clean the pickups they started wielding oil bugs into the pan under the pickups.
I have new fox body oil pan and valve covers from mustang project just sitting on a shelf if you find yourself need them.

ArmyRover 08-13-2015 10:08 AM

Adding the bung in the front sump is a good idea. If I need them I'll let you know and I appreciate it.

I'm hopeful that I can use the exploder pan I hope to get to the test fit early next week

ArmyRover 08-15-2015 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well today was very productive I am on my way back now from Mantell motorsport with a shiny new 302 installation kit in the back my truck really excited to get started on it and a big thank you to Pete Mantell for keeping the shop open to let me come down and pick it up and a T-shirt.

Pete was also kind enough to give me a tour the shop and show me all the cool rides you had out there. Then he was even kinder and took me for a ride in his 347 stroker MGB

ihscouts 08-15-2015 08:52 PM

That is a very nice kit! Seeing that the tough stuff (engineered) is laid out the rest should be fun. Your gonna have one fast little scooter......

ArmyRover 08-15-2015 10:13 PM

When he took me for a ride in the 347 stroker powered MGB, I have to admit I kinda snickered inside when I saw the 5 point harnesses. Then when we got on a nice long straight section of country road, he stopped it. He then dropped the hammer that was one extremely brief ride to 100 mph. It pinned me to my seat, sad part is he took it easy and skipped second gear.

I think he was worried he would scare me but he looked over and I was grinning like a idiot. We went off the straight into a tight sweeper at about 70 mph. It took it in stride like a properly sorted MGB.

I can't wait to get mine done.

ihscouts 08-15-2015 11:25 PM

I'm sure you've visited BritishV8.com, the moderator (Curtis) has an MGB with a 3.9 but there's a whole bunch of Pony car transplants.

ArmyRover 08-16-2015 12:05 AM

I'm on there and have spent the last few months reading over all the 302 swaps. I couldn't bring myself to put a Rover motor in it. That would have been a waste of money in my mind.

ihscouts 08-16-2015 12:55 AM

It's a great place to look at what others have done or are doing. Even with the Rover motors.