Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts
Default Coil bracket and SAI bracket

SAI bracket is actually backwards in photo.

Last edited by abran; 01-03-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:08 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

My bracket does not look like that at all. There are minor changes made to the D2 over the years. MAF sensor from earlier D2 will not fit on late model D2. Air Intake is also different. Roof rails are different etc. Stands to reason the layout of sai system and brackets will be different. Pain in de *****.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Im pretty sure that someone grinded off your 2 top tabs for the coils and you are missing the black bracket from the SAI tube. Every D2 I have worked on or parted out has these details regardless of year, color, state, etc.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

I think you're right abran - and then they both get bolted into the holes in the upper intake that I described before

TriarII I'm pretty sure I saw your black sai bracket in a previous photo

Old 01-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Pro Wrench

Sorry that was without SAI instructions. see new photo

Your coil bracket is definitely not stock. Stock has only 3 threaded holes per coil pack, and has the 2 mounting holes/tab at the top

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 01-03-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:32 PM
TReK

wtf. I hate when people rig ****! Just creates more problems down the road. Guess Ill need to source a used SAI pipe and bracket assembly complete with all the nuts and bolts. Im wondering if the sai pipe not being properly connected to the coils is causing a disturbance and thus the misfire codes. Its probably a far fetcehed idea but.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Unfortunately the coil bracket is not sold separately, (see Lrcat)
but I'm sure Abran can hook you up.

AS for the SAI pipe bracket, you're in luck. Part # WAU100410 . Oh dang... not so lucky... its $40.. https://www.lrdirect.com/WAU100410-B...keep_https=yes
Try abran? Junkyard? Roverlandparts.com?

As for being the cause of misfires... hmm that's a stretch, however, neither the SAI nor the coils are currently bolted down.

Both of those issues are really puzzling. There's no reason to unbolt the SAI bracket from the pipe, ever. And for the bracket... that's some weird ****

Are you getting any SAI related codes?

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 01-03-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:41 PM
TReK

$40 is cheap. To clarify the coil assembly bracket is NOT free floating behind intake. Look at my bracket above you will see one bolt hole on each side of the bracket. Those holes line up with holes on block and thats how/where the coil bracket is bolted. The SAI metal pipe is currently free floating behind coils, not bolted to anything. Either end of the pipe IS connected to appropriate SAI components. Its just not bolted in place. Thats how I found it and my mechanic says thats not his work.

Looking back at my records from previous owner, it says stop leak was used in the cooling system and coil replaced. No specifics. Some small mechanic shop in Berlin NH did the work. I suspect they are to blame.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Pro Wrench

Right - yes the bracket is bolted at the bottom to the lower intake.

I suspect the small shop couldn't figure out how to finesse the coil pack back onto the upper intake (you have to leave the bottom bolts loose so that the coil pack tips backwards, fit upper intake, snug in, then bolt down) so they decided to grind off the bracket instead?! That's my best guess.

Have you done a thorough inspection of the engine wiring harness? The only sure-fire way to make sure the harness is good is to test the continuity of each wire end-to-end with a multimeter. You'd need the electrical wiring diagram which I believe is separate from the RAVE manual. Could it be related to your issue? I don't know

Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 PM
TReK

Yes possibly. Still irrates me when people/shops try to take the short cut around things.

Electrical work is also beyond my current capabilities. Ill run your suggestion by my mechanic. He did say though that he is confident that my truck has very good ground. He did not elaborate.

Its gonna be afew weeks but I guess the new plan is to have my mechanic pull and inspect the cps. If all checks out then pull the oil sump and inspect flywheel. If all checks out then inspect/test engine wiring harness. If all checks out torch the truck.....

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully we get to bottom of this bs. Changing jobs soon so need to focus ebergy elsewhere for afew weeks. All suggestions are appreciated and welcome.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build