Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Operation Magpie.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
How would you go about fixing a tweaked bumper Friday Night Disco?
I would use heat, block of wood, and hydraulic jack.

Maybe a rubber mallet but, I doubt that will produce any results.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

The problem with bending the bumper back to its original shape would be...taking it past the point of original. You need to bend it up farther than its original position, because it will want to flex back to its bend position. You basically need to bend it past its original position, so when it flexs back...it ends up where you want it, original shape.

And in order to do this...you'd need to remove headlight, lower plastic piece and fender (or just remove fender bolts along hood and one in front lower corner and gently lift a few inches out of the way, blocking it up with a piece of wood). Another problem is keeping the rover from lifting off the ground, while jacking the bumper. Without tie-downs in the floor, you'll have to use your imagination on getting it strapped/chained down somehow. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will bend with just the weight of the rover fighting the lifting motion, it really doesn't seemed to be bend that bad. Me, l'd cold bend it without heat. But, if that doesn't work...then heat along top piece while lifting very outer edge of bumper (at least it looks like the end cap is somewhat straight to get a 4X4 block of wood on it). Just be careful and stay clear of anything that will go bad quickly.

Brian.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Hmmm.. thanks for the tips Brian -- I appreciate it.

Not sure if i am going to even bother with it, i might just sell the bumper for some profit and get / make what i really want. For some reason, the hoops on the top side just look weird to me in general so... yeah

Just started a new job a few weeks ago that has all the tools i could ever need at my disposal so i'm thinkin now is the time to just build one!

Old 03-06-2019, 08:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm.. thanks for the tips Brian -- I appreciate it.

Not sure if i am going to even bother with it, i might just sell the bumper for some profit and get / make what i really want. For some reason, the hoops on the top side just look weird to me in general so... yeah

Just started a new job a few weeks ago that has all the tools i could ever need at my disposal so i'm thinkin now is the time to just build one!
hey can you check your PM’s? thanks!

Old 03-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

How would you go about fixing a tweaked bumper Brian?

Mount it and smack into a solid item (tree telephone pole) and repeat. To pull it out tie rope to tree/telephone pole and mash throttle slam shifter into Race

Old 03-07-2019, 08:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

It needs to go up

Old 03-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

It needs to go up
hydraulic jack and block of wood

Old 03-08-2019, 04:34 AM
Camel Trophy

Problem...with that^^^^...is the vehicle is just going to come off the ground. That bumper is probably strong enough to support the weight of that rover...so it is just going to lift the wheels off the ground. You would have to anchor the frame work of the rover somehow, to keep this from happening. Unless you wanted to heat the bumper while applying lift/pressure from hyd. jack. If you decide to use heat, use long patterns/strokes of heat, so the bumper doesn't bend in only one spot...you'd essentially want it to bend evenly.

Brian.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I fixed a bumper on a Jeep by using a Uhaul Car Hauler trailer. We strapped it down from the frame to around the trailer cranked it down extremely tight, then used a bottle jack on the bumper and we got it straightened out in no time.

As long as you can anchor the LR down then you should be able to place a block of wood under the bumper and jack it up slowly.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:13 AM
Camel Trophy

That would work perfect.

Quick Reply: Operation Magpie.