Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Build Threads (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/)
-   -   Operation Magpie. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/operation-magpie-88272/)

Saturnine 04-20-2018 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the heads, they look incredible -- no pics yet! They ended up being resurfaced .014, so last time these heads can be machined but I'm not concerned honestly. Supposed to be snowy/rainy tomorrow so keeping my fingers crossed i can actually start putting things back together. Just been doing a ton of cleaning both in the bay and parts that came off.

Attachment 55761

Saturnine 04-21-2018 03:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well my fingers officially are tired of scrubbing off all the sh-t on this engine. Replaced all the o-rings on the injectors, the old ones were in fairly good knick, none were cracked but all were on the brittle side.

Attachment 55758

Attachment 55759

Having to clean all these bits in the kitchen sink sucks balls.

Saturnine 04-22-2018 07:29 AM

Welp, its 630am and today is the day. No snow today, supposed to be in the 60's so its game on for getting everything back together.. Or at least most of it.

I'm so ready to be done with doing this job!

ihscouts 04-22-2018 12:53 PM

Having .014 removed makes a statement about the warpage, now they're square.

Saturnine 04-22-2018 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Indeed they were fairly fubard.. :dunno:

In other news, this happened. Brand spanking new, did the initial 15lb with the torque wrench and the first 90 degree rotation. After 30 mins, started to do the 2nd 90 degrees, got maybe 30 degrees in when i heard a really loud pop and then the wrench went loose. **** **** **** **** **** was the only thing going through my mind -- backed it out slowly with a wrench and got it out.. Got lucky on this one for sure.. Good thing it was the most accessible bolt on the passenger side, closest to the t-stat. Gonna get a new bolt tomorrow along with some gaskets for the exhaust which apparently doesn't come with the HG kit from Lucky8.

Attachment 55757

The Deputy 04-22-2018 06:48 PM

Ouch. Can't remember right off hand, but aren't there three different size bolts, three long, two medium for under valve cover and five shorter ones for along exhaust edge. Bet your heart sunk a few feet, when that baby snapped.

Brian.

Saturnine 04-22-2018 09:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Yeah, it certainly did. Everything is ok though. There are actually 2 bolt types -- middle 3 near lower IM are longer, the other 7 are shorter bolts. This one is a shorter one.

Yay pics.

Attachment 55751

Attachment 55752

Attachment 55753

Decided this would be a good time to re-wrap the engine harnesses with a silicon tape, so easy to use and better than that crappy plastic non-sense.

Attachment 55754

Attachment 55755

Saturnine 04-23-2018 06:12 PM

Got a lot done today! Didn't really take any pics but I'll snag some tomorrow.

Got the lower intake manifold installed, valve covers, CP+wires and most of the SAI crap. Just need to put the front of the motor back together and slap on the upper intake and should be good to go. Ran out to a local rover shop to pick up a new head bolt and exhaust manifold --> DP gaskets because the Lucky8 kit didn't come with them. Bugger. Speaking of not included -- the upper hard pipe gasket :mad: Gonna run to a local parts store and pick up something because.. its just an o-ring, can't be that difficult to find one that'll work... right? :dunno:

Everything went ok but i'll be honest.. the valve covers were annoying. I had picked up a can of that spray tac crap that the AB guys used in the yewtube vid and I wasn't really happy with how it worked. It was tacky but it sure as hell didn't really hold the gasket on very well (all surfaces were clean) so i had to futz with it a number of times to make sure that it seated properly.

Just need to get a jug of coolant and change the oil.. Also picked up a transmission filter / service kit but i'll probably do that in a week or so.

Yay.

ihscouts 04-23-2018 08:04 PM

Almost there, you'll be glad you did it - not that you had much choice. Now you'll be able to dole out advice like a chilled out been there done that vet.

Saturnine 04-23-2018 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe I won't be glad but my wallet certainly will be :laugh:

No really though, I feel good doing this type of stuff.. assuming it works :)

Attachment 55749