Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Operation Magpie.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I had checked it before going to bed and did add more water. Did the same this AM as well before starting it.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:40 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Good news if you are finding air and replacing it... It took me three or four days to get all the air out last time I opened the system. I mean 3 or 4 days of checking the bleed screw first thing in the morning and topping it off as needed. Good Luck, sounds like you may finally be getting there.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Lets hope so because i am seriously over this lol

Bypassed the core again and waiting for things to cool down before starting again -- was able to add about a cup or so of water to the bleed screw / T so i guess thats good.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:31 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

That cup of water in the bleed screw could account for your overheating issue alone, I think you should leave the heater core alone at this point. I lowered my temps by 12 degrees adding about 2 ounces of water.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:45 AM
Pro Wrench

Maybe, it just seems so stupid to me.

Disco's are supposed to be this amazing truck that has driven in some crazy countries / challenges etc but yet a cup of coolant can cause a truck to over heat? Or that it takes 4 days to bleed it correctly -- can't imagine doing that sh-t in the middle of some jungle

Old 05-14-2018, 10:25 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Maybe, it just seems so stupid to me.

Disco's are supposed to be this amazing truck that has driven in some crazy countries / challenges etc but yet a cup of coolant can cause a truck to over heat? Or that it takes 4 days to bleed it correctly -- can't imagine doing that sh-t in the middle of some jungle

Hear, hear!
Whenever I finish my 04, no matter how great and cool it runs, my confidence in any of them isn't very good anymore.
I know there are plenty of abused and neglected D2's out there, but they all seem to have the same issues. Not if, but when...and usually again.
Gonna try and get my engine in, trans and motor mounts bolted up by this weekend, and go from there.
Good luck with yours.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:34 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

My D2(actually all of them)now remind me of a Lamborghini Countach.
This awesome vehicle that was so cool, only I actually finally got a D2.
The Countach reviews I've seen are all the same.
The iconic poster on the wall, amazing supercar, etc.
Then you drive it...apparently loud inside, smells of gas fumes, heavy clutch, sub-par steering, and feels as if it's going to fly to pieces at high speed.
That is was better as the ultimate dream car...because it sucks in reality.
Sounds alot like a Disco to me anymore.
I'm still on the fence, because I loved the few miles I put on mine, but I don't want to constantly dump money in it either.
Once everything works, and I drive it a little, I think it'll go for sale or trade.
Time for another Toyota, you know, put gas, oil, and tire changes on it and drive it 400k miles.
Disco might make it to the gas station, and overheat on the way home.
Murphy's Law....yeah, enough said.
I can't imagine driving these things hundreds of miles into the middle of nowhere.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Pro Wrench

I can’t help but to think I should have bought the 95’ MB e420 I was also looking at, it was immaculate.

oh well, gotta follow through and do my best to get this all sorted. I don’t know what I’ll do if the block is fubared though — turner block would be awesome but no way I have those kinda funds available.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Only vehicle to ever leave me stranded was a crappy company Ford Transit Connect......... By far the worse thing ever made with 4 wheels and a seat. I killed 3 transmissions in 70K.

I've owned new LR's, and I've owned used LR's. I added up 18 in my head the other day and out of all of those only one was a POS and that's because I trusted a "so called" friend that took my $$$$ and ran. I even took that POS and fixed it's flaws! I've never out of the 18 LR's I've owned ever been stuck on the side of the road. I've had alternators completely die, but I still made it home. I've had an axle shaft snap on a P38 RR, but once again I made it home.

I owned 2 05 Jeep Wranglers back to back. They were brand new off the showroom, and I got stuck on the side of the road on my way to Corpus Christi with a locked up front caliper miles from nowhere. I then had it also go into limp home mode in the middle of nowhere, but I was able to trick it into getting me off the side of the road. Then I had my wifes 04 Grand Cherokee radiator split clean in half on the way home from the hospital with my newborn daughter.... I was able to make it home, but it was a very touchy situation with a newborn in the back!

I have full faith in all my LR's or I honestly wouldn't own them. I've been out in the boonies miles from no where in them. I've made it back with no issues. I've driven them at all hours of the night on trips to see my friends. Heck I drove my 94 RRC out many times across TX from Houston past San Antonio to see my parents and I never once was worried if I was going to make it.

Yes I do always carry a tool kit with me, and yes depending on the LR I'm in I usually always have a break down kit just in case. On a D2 that consist of a brake switch, IAC, MAF, CPS, relays, 3 spare lug nuts, fuses, hose clamps, and other small but critical little parts.

When I took my wife out for a date night in my 99 D2 we were 3hr from home and after we had our lovely dinner it didn't want to start. I checked under the hood real quick and knew I had a failing CPS instantly. I didn't panic, I let it cool down a bit, (wife was looking stressed), but it fired up and got me home. I swapped out the CPS in the driveway that evening in about 15min. I was prepared to swap it right then and there if I didn't get it going.

Heck even the 500.00 wonder I bought isn't buying the farm just yet. Sure it wasn't treated with kindness all it's life, but someone (probably not the person I bought it from) cared for it at one time or another because a lot of things were fixed before the TC locked up. My guess is the original owner that cared for it then gave it to one of their kids that didn't know anything except how to start it and drive it. Then the TC locked up and it sat for a year. It's not perfect and I need to go thru the cooling system completely, but go find a 500.00 ATV/Deer Lease 4x4 for 500.00 with AC/Heat, cruise control, working 4x4 system, heated front windshield, heated seats, and leather seats.... No way you can do that for 500.00. A decent side by side is nearly 10K, and most Deer Lease 4x4's are actually 2x4's and nothing works on it for maybe 2K.

Are Land Rover's perfect? No, is any automobile? No, I had a neighbor when I lived in Houston, that had a new Toyota Avalon. They changed to oil on time, babied that thing and one day it just stopped in the middle of rush hour traffic. He had it towed home, and when we removed the valve cover to see what was going on it had a perfect mold of the valve cover in baked/crystallized oil deposits that killed the oil flow to the upper engine. Toyota later acknowledged there was a problem....

I am lucky to have grown up with two of my best friends that are both LR Master Techs from the 87-08 LR days (they now have their own LR shop). I learned a great deal from them, but I also learned from my dad if you're going to do something to do it right especially when other peoples lives could be at stake.

I drove my 99 into Houston today and for the first time I slapped my spare Scangauge II into it (normally stays at the house). Temps started out at the 188F thru town, then I hit the freeway and I got up to speed in a hurry and it went to 200F, then upon reaching my cruising speed it stopped at 206F then went down to 193-197F. I then hit Houston traffic and all the stop/start had me get up to a max of 209F, but it would eventually settle down to 193-197F once I was cruising. It's funny to watch the temp creep up all on it's own to 204F then back down to 188-193F, but all my D2's do this rise/fall with the 180F thermostats. With the 195F thermostat the rise/fall is only like 5F.

I'm very happy with those temps as I'm running an ARB Bumper, with aux lights, and a winch. Also back when the D2 was new 210-215F was actually the normal temp range with 220F not uncommon.

I always do a quick preflight check and check the fluid levels, and a quick look over for any leaks or stuff like that. I'm dying to take my 02 Kalahari with 232K on it up to the PNW to see my brother and my mom. Only thing stopping me is work, and family life. Besides that I'd jump into it tomorrow and hit the road if I could.

The following users liked this post:
MrNails (10-30-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 PM
Pro Wrench

I totally agree / hear what you're saying Brian, no doubt! I love MagPie, there is just something about how it looks, drives etc. I am going to get to the bottom of this problem because i truly want to enjoy MagPie and do the things its built to do!

With that being said, I have all the parts in my Summit shopping cart to do the inline tstat mod..

Decided to drive ol' MagPie around the apartment complex because everything i've been dealing with has been with the truck parked. I figured i'd drive around (which is a short distance) to "stir things up" a little. Same out come -- got to hot. Bleed screw has coolant right when you begin to unscrew, so i don't think there are any more bubbles in the system. Drove around, parked and shut MagPie down -- checked all the hoses, the lower rad hose was cool to the touch while the others are almost to hot to grab hold of.

I feel like i'm a very logical person generally speaking, but this tstat just isn't opening and I dont know why. THERE IS COOL COOLANT RIGHT THERE, WHY AREN'T YOU CIRCULATING INTO THE SYSTEM is what my head is screaming at me.

I have 9 days left on my temp permit tag -- after that it becomes a HUGE pita to get smog / registered.

I'm going to click.. ORDER

Quick Reply: Operation Magpie.