Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Project Dirty White

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

The rear was much easier.

I couldn't find carpet for a reasonable price. Everyone wanted 2-350 for set of worn out carpet. Nuts. So I went to the junk yard and found a Silver D1. I pulled the carpet and what I could of the factory insulation. I took it home and power washed all the crap and gunk it had on it. For the most part it's an exact fit. A few minor glitches but it fits. It's a lighter gray than the Classic but it's better than nothing. Cost me 12 bucks.

It's not perfect and I still have details to sort. I need to fix the silver bits of insulation from peaking out. I have to modify the plastic seat base covers to work with these seats. I think I may paint them black with same paint I did on the headrests.

I pulled the passenger side door panel/wood off and sanded/stained it black like the other side too.

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 11-08-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Pro Wrench

Next to add a bit more functionality to the rear cargo area , I added a swing out storage box.

I mounted it where the spare tire should be yet no longer fits. This thing is very useful and very easy to get into. I mounted it in a way that I can store my bottle jack and first aid kit under it. Behind it I mounted a 4 way tire iron. I need to address that thing rattling around.
These we're made for a pick up truck but it was easy enough to make it work here. The only permanent modification that had to be done was a notch in the brace that formally held the spare tire. Other than that it's just a few holes where you'd never see them. One pull of the little lever it swings right out for easy access. I have one for the other side but that will need to be notched for the fuel tank inlet lump in the floor.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Pro Wrench

On to the mechanical stuff.

I added some steel wheels awhile ago and mounted new KO2's. I found the bull bar I used to have on my old Classic and resprayed it. Mounted some KC lights
I mounted my skid plate and my RTE steering dampener brackets and a new procomp dampener. Way way better than the homemade thing that was in there before.

After that I added a 24 spline rear Detroit Locker and GBR HD shafts. This put the truck down for over a week because I didn't realize early Classic rear stub axles are longer than a Disco. Now I know.

So back to the junk yard to grab those and rear hubs. I took that time to install some new timken bearings and repack the hubs.

I installed 2 new O2 sensors. Did all the fluids and plugs again. I added my RTE sliders. That was pretty much it for my trip.

My friend got here from back east and we loaded up the truck to head out for a 300+ mile solo trip through NV AZ and UT.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Pro Wrench

The truck did amazing on the trip. Never had one issue. I beat the snot out of it. I was fully loaded going up hills trails and dirt roads. Some easy. Some really squirrelly. Other than tire rub it did perfect.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Looks fantastic nice work!

Makes me miss my Hunter.....

Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

X2! You must not be very handsome cuz you sure is handy. I bought an unmentionable, a Jeep. I feel sullied..... hey it was cheap.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks gents
I've tried a bunch of different trucks too. Jeeps included. Fuggit. If it does it for cheap it's all good. They just don't make my boy parts tingly like Rovers do. Haha

Old 11-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm really not into Jeeps, been there already. Been looking for a P38 that isn't ragged out as most are by now. I don't mind small projects, don't have time for big. Need a snow machine and it's a buddy's who's a mechanic so a couple of minor issues and done.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1

It's always nice to get home after a long outing. Granted, you may want to get some glass in those windows before the snow flies...lol.

But, all joking aside...rig looks great and enjoy following along.

Side note...your axle shaft story got me remembering when we'd mess with the new guys in the garage and switch axle shafts from one side to the other. They'd be doing their first brake job, pulling axle shafts to get the hubs off...and when they weren't around...the switch would take place. 9 times out of 10 they'd never catch it and install the longer one, going all the way through the ring gear assembly and never notice that the short shaft missed hitting anything. They'd bolt everything all up, and try to back the rig out afterwards...but couldn't understand why it wouldn't move...lol.

Anyhow, keep up the good work on your rig.

Brian.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I had a pretty decent P38 for about 6 days...

Quick Reply: Project Dirty White