Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Build Threads (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/)
-   -   Project Dirty White (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/project-dirty-white-84007/)

Shiftonthefly1 04-27-2017 04:03 PM

Project Dirty White

2 Attachment(s)
An 88 SWB RRC. Dubbed "Dirty White" by my wife when she saw it the first time. I recently picked this up after two...yes two other trucks fell through. I don't know what it is with sellers lately. For some reason I couldn't give away my money.

So this was my third choice. A little rougher than I wanted. But I think very doable. Its got a factory LT230 and non ABS brakes. Already has a OME lift and some other off road goodies.

Buying long distance is always fun. When the truck to finally showed up it was a bit more rough than I wanted. I've always wanted a white RRC so it works out.
It was advertised as "mechanically problem free" (direct quote). It promptly broke down On me not ten miles after I purchased it. I had to have towed home on the very first drive. :poop::poop:

Turns out the ign amp module is crap. I ordered a new Petronix distributor and coil.

Now the fun part. I just had my shoulder surgery yesterday. SLAP repair and rotator cuff repair. Sooooo...progress on this turd will be slow. I've made a list of small one handed projects I can do. Gonna start with getting it clean.

This how it sits now.

Attachment 33091

Attachment 33092

Flat oxidized paint. Permanently embedded greasy fingerprints. It doesn't look like it's been washed for a very long time.

Today I gathered up my strength and went out to wash it. I use dish soap to strip it as much as possible. I was really surprised at how well the paint responded to a simple wash. I followed up with Polishing Compound next. Then I hit it with a clay bar. Then 2 coats of wax. I've only done about a third of the truck and I had to come in and rest. But it looks great. The paint on this thing is full of flaws,chips and scratches. It's never going to be perfect not even close. But I really don't want it to be. It has to be good to go off road and I don't want to have a panic attack if it gets scratched. This will still be good enough to wash up and look decent clean.

The Deputy 04-27-2017 08:01 PM

Looks like a great project. And for what it's worth...it was mechanically problem free...for ten miles.

What are your plans for the build?

Brian.

Shiftonthefly1 04-27-2017 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Deputy (Post 604467)
Looks like a great project. And for what it's worth...it was mechanically problem free...for ten miles.

What are your plans for the build?

Brian.

After i get it running reliably I will go through it 100%. Make it road trip worthy. New tires. I want to keep the lift it has. I was originally planning on going for more but I'm liking this stance for now. I need to upgrade the bumpers and get a low profile rack. I'm liking the voyager rack version.

I want to insulate the floors. Get the ac working. Recover the seats. Not sure how. Orginal grey leather or a more durable material. I want to re-stain a the door wood a dark ebony. I want to break up all the grey inside with touches of charcoal and black. Since this thing is a bit rough it will never be a resto. So I don't have to worry about originality. I won't butcher it but I don't feel bad about modifying it.

dgi 07 04-28-2017 07:41 AM

Nice pick up. Congrats.

ArmyRover 04-28-2017 07:54 AM

RRC's are the best looking forward to seeing it come along

Shiftonthefly1 04-28-2017 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cleaned it up yesterday. It came out nice. It's slow going. I've got about 1/2 the truck done. It takes me a long time.

Attachment 33086

It's actually reflective now

ArmyRover 04-28-2017 11:23 AM

Looks good Shift, hell getting old ain't it :)

Shiftonthefly1 04-28-2017 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 604511)
Looks good Shift, hell getting old ain't it :)

I'm 36 thank you! I'm just heavily medicated and one arm. I get sleepy really fast.

ArmyRover 04-28-2017 09:53 PM

That's old in my line of work.... You would almost qualify for dinosaur status like me.

stillruns 04-29-2017 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1 (Post 604502)
Cleaned it up yesterday. It came out nice. It's slow going. I've got about 1/2 the truck done. It takes me a long time.

https://i101.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1lvrvrkk.jpg

It's actually reflective now

Nice find! Take that hideous previous owner tint off though. It's a RR classic not an Impala.