Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

It'll do what your requesting........that block dates back to the 40's, you can get 300k and more out of it..........in 01, there was a bad run of heads and honestly it was an almost single year issue. If the tranny is as suggested, don't touch nothing, leave fluid as is......run it. Over all, they're a decent ride, the GC's known as ZJ's prior suffered from some electrical issues....The Grand Cherokee is pretty much Jeep's version of "Keeping up with the neighbor's" SUV, the high end scale of 'Jeep'. That involves a lot of creature comfort which typically involves the electrical system. Keep up with that fuel pump, you'll find it can cost more than the WJ to replace.........over all, the only thing better you could have asked for is the manual transfer case.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Oh hey.....Good news, what now maybe 6 weeks ago, outside of my Rova parked next to the tower, there was one other ROVA in the Cinco-De-Mud-Hole mudfest!!! Sorry to report it had a totally replaced Chevy small block (built 283 small block) and drive train under it! Oh well.......looked kool!!

Sand drag winner.......

Old 11-19-2017, 04:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The Ford suffered front drive shaft slip, clocked the oil filter right off the block, sucked mud directly into the block after the jump.....result, blown 10 Cyl...........already another being built!

Being the tower guy all day, couldn't help but notice the love going around....

Old 11-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Thank you and will do on the trans, no touch is what I like. RockAuto has two OE (Bosch/MOPAR) units for a decent price - $128 for Bosch, $274 for MOPAR. I'd obviously go low - Airtex complete unit $84.79......tada. The pump is original and no TSB on it's numbers. I may go with just a sock, seal, inline filter and get the fan relay at a local joint all in purchase and call it good.... after I drain off the tank and vacuum out the dirt. It's pretty clean dirt..... and I have nearly a full tank of gas whoo hoo, we thought it was MT! For extra credit I may fashion a spare tire half 1/2 pan to cover the rot over the fuel tank with cover..... just in case my cheap plan fails. I like the fact that it has the manual tc, dodged the bullet on the Quadratrac. Already polished up the headlight lenses, clear as the Disco now. Has driving lights too and those lenses fogged, so cleaned them up. I'm pretty happy with my new whip, should be fun and it fits in the pole barn in two turns. I'll say the 3.73's the pumpkins are sport'n are awesome, lots of grunt off the line. I had the exact same motor in my 84 CJ7 without the SFI goodies and it was a mule too, a bit like a Binder.....

Old 11-21-2017, 04:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That motor is all about torque, long time favorite but in 2001 it was tweaked as far as the factory was willing to take it. You have a Dana30 up front and either a Chrysler8.8 or Dana 35 or if your really lucky....a Dana 44......just cross reference the rear cover or post a pic.....the 44 would have a flat bottom and hard corners on the cover. The Chrysler axle is close in strength, the 35 is lip stick on a pig. I'd put minimal funds into it....they're short money now a days.

So......Since I now have to live by some one else's rules, I broke down and bought an ebay rear tail light for the Super Model......I'll be running KY plates for a while, that's obvious.....don't need Johnny Law pulling me over for some thing stupid.....lower lights are going to Eagle Eyes just to eliminate the expense and rotted connections....

Seems D1's are a bit of an oddity up here......who'da thunk? It's not like they enjoy the salt & expense of ownership......I'll keep her going I guess for as long she dosen't go back on the crack habit........but you know, she could fall off the wagon on any given day.......

Old 11-21-2017, 06:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I'll tell ya bud, I'm about as excited over this thing as loosing my knee for six months..... and zero drugs come with it so it's that much less appealing.

Nic pic, I feel like I can relate.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That time of year again, I'm flying SOLO this year....YEEHAAAAW!!!....Hope you all enjoy your bird & have a safe holiday!!

Old 11-29-2017, 07:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

So my ebay tail light showed up, picked it up on Monday......turns out I bought it from Mr. Grant! I must say Paul, you do a very nice packing job!!

So I'm setting this afternoon aside to get my lights straightened out, repaired before Johnny Law hands me a lottery ticket.........Just so happens my kid has a field trip today, had to be at school an hour early in the dark..........So, I go out to warm the tramp up & do a pre-flight inspection checking which lights are operating............Wouldn't you know, every dang light is actually working that should be working?!!?.......SAY WHAT????......Like, that hasn't been the case for months!

I swear this thing knows what I say under my breath!!

Old 11-29-2017, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

It's love....

Old 11-29-2017, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Love you say?
No....She uses me and my handsome good looks just so she can get out and strut around town.......she's a USER!! Very evil........

So that said, polished up both tail lights on the buffer while out.....broken one replaced, connections fixed in the other, blinker in bumper bad wire connection fixed, side marker's woken up and functioning.....non of this a big deal, just time consuming.....but, one less thing to worry about I guess.

Got some serious rust to tackle.......not looking forward to that, hopefully I can ride it out until May........

Last edited by Detoured Discovey; 11-29-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-