Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Fuelling issues

Old 09-27-2023, 02:30 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuelling issues

Hi all, My 1997 300tdi Defender appears to be having some fuelling issues. Its generally lacking a bit of power (doesn't want to rev out cleanly but gets there eventually), vibrates through the floor under power from low speed, particularly up hill in 4th or 5th and has more black smoke than usual. No problems starting or idling. Fuel filter and injectors have been replaced to no avail. Engine has a tapping noise which is increases with revs but tappets have also just been done. My thoughts are with black smoke its not getting enough air. Turbos pipe expands ok but has maybe a little more lag than expected. Timing hasn't been checked for a while but the belt was replaced about 20k miles ago. It all seems to point to the VE fuel pump. I'm thinking if it was under fuelling it could be the vacuum pipe to the pump diaphragm but not for over fuelling. Could it be the fuel pin follower is stuck in the 'on' position or maybe wear to the fuel pin? I can't think of anything else that would cause it to over fuel (or under air). I don't really want to throw a new pump at it as the injectors were quite spendy and didn't help. No obvious restriction in the exhaust and the air filter is fine. Symptoms show less from cold and get worse as it warms up. Any helpful advice gratefully received! Thanks.