Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

building for comfort!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building for comfort!

Hi all, I'm new here so please be gentle :-)

I have owned a series 3, and a 90 in years gone by, and I'm keen to get another landrover to use as a regular car. But, however much I love landrovers, I miss the comforts of a modern vehicle.
My ideal would be the exterior of a series 3, or a 90, with the interior replaced with something wonderful, modern, comfortable.
Is this a common request? Are there any interiors you can buy to fit? Would it be a complete custom job? Is it a non-starter?
Imagine it, a series 3 with a range rover quality interior. Yummy!

Thanks in advance
C10B

Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Have you looked over the Rovers North catalog?

Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

It's called a Range Rover or if you prefer a more airy roofline and exterior spare, a Discovery 1.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Winching

Some people are convinced that the DC100 was nothing more than a publicity stunt and that Land Rover is actually taking the Defender replacement seriously and that they will have an offroad vehicle that appeals to the existing base. If that's true, they're keeping it a very good secret.

Personally, I will be interested to see what happens. I could part with $50 thousand cash for the right car, which I think is a very generous price for this type of car without the grey-market markup. The only reluctance I would have is the huge loss I'd take on selling my Discovery. The biggest and really only shortcoming of the Discovery is the interior. It's not durable and it's not practical to replace it (no aftermarket items and junkyard has the same problems). After 15 years, all the plastic is cracked or damaged, the leather is worn, and everything that has been fixed, replaced or is still working right is so cheap (vinyl and plastic). I don't really want a current Range Rover interior either because although the quality is better, the durability is not much so. I wish I had the tools and skills to create a tig-welded Aluminum dash and center console with vdo guages, two LCD's, heat and AC. That, and some PRP seats and it would really start to feel a match for the rest of the car.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the replies.

I've had a look at the North catalogue, and it appears to mainly very standard items to do an original rebuild.
And I don't want a disco or RR either.
What I really really want is a LandRover look on the outside, with something really sexy and comfortable on the inside. I can't believe a kit doesn't exist already?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:32 AM
5th Gear
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I know the flooring is not cheap, but it looks so close to home improvement wood paneling. Perhaps if the strips were narrower, like on a teak boat deck.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by C10B
I can't believe a kit doesn't exist already?
Most people are more interested in taking long camping trips in the woods, or working on the farm then worrying about having a sexy interior.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Winching

The lighting in those photos is deceptive. Photo it under the lights at the mall garage and it's more like real life.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:52 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
Most people are more interested in taking long camping trips in the woods, or working on the farm then worrying about having a sexy interior.

I agree. And I give thanks each day that I am not like most people :-)

Quick Reply: building for comfort!