Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Defender (https://landroverforums.com/forum/defender-32/)
-   -   I falled in love - Armored Defender (https://landroverforums.com/forum/defender-32/i-falled-love-armored-defender-28189/)

somekel 01-13-2010 07:46 AM

I falled in love - Armored Defender

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,
I am new to the off road cars area. I never had one, and now I decided it's the moment. From all available/affordable brands I decided that my offroad car will definetively be a Land Rover. Browsing through available Landies on internet one month ago I have found one which just does not let me sleep during night. V8, 3.5 petrol , 1986 Armored, 140.000Km . As I asked the opinion of many friends, all asked me the same question: Why do you need AK47 protection, and 8 shoot through holes ? Well, I don't need them , that's true, but the car just looks awesome.
Now, I am going to buy it in less than one month. I would like to ask here about common problems that may exist on this particular type of engine. I would also like to know if I may expect regular off road capabilities ( climbing, swamping ) regarding the fact that the car may be heavier due to the armor.What fuel consumption should I expect with an average speed on highway on 100-110Km/h ?
Thank you ,

somekel 01-13-2010 07:48 AM

more photos

4 Attachment(s)
Here are more photos

hilltoppersx 01-13-2010 10:28 AM

its going to be too heavy and dangerous to off road with... your on road gas mileage is going to be horrible.

somekel 01-13-2010 10:29 AM

new infos

I spoke with the guy, it weights 3 tons, and consumes 20l/100Km. Quite a lot.
He mentioned that the fuel pump is damaged so the car can not run. But I assume that this I can change by myself easily.
What would be your advices ? Would you buy it ? It's 8500EUR

Lindy 01-13-2010 11:23 AM

Do you live in the middle of a battle field?

yloDiscoII 01-13-2010 11:31 AM

Not a very practical choice for anything other than a collection..........or starting a militia.

hilltoppersx 01-13-2010 01:59 PM

8500 eu is 2 much money for it. Especially if its not running. I think its worth about 4500 eu. but still too heavy to offroad with that engine. plus you will need new heavy duty suspension, skip it and look for a diesel defender instead

somekel 01-13-2010 02:43 PM

thank you very much for your advice,this was my feeling aswell.But you have to admit it looks awesome :)

hilltoppersx 01-13-2010 02:57 PM

it is awesome. and if you had enough money to get it and fix it and use it for just cruising on the weekends that would be cool. but you would need a different truck to offroad, and a different car to just drive daily with.

somekel 01-13-2010 03:14 PM

I have a regular car already, '97 2.8 liter bmw happily driving it day by day . It has 322.000 Km by now and i am still able to get 0-100 in 9 seconds :) . I am 30 yo, not lots of money but the job I have is quite well payed especially if you take extra work. And I do not live in a war conflict zone :) .Can I afford to buy it now ? Yes. And I can keep it just for weekend drive. But my plan is to buy and prepare a vehicle for ( sounds stupid, I know ) a doom's day scenario. I always dreamed to have a car that I can tune with some monitors, a decent computer and my ham radio gear. I also prepared a mobile repeater for this purpose. It is my passion,let's say. And I find this car perfect for this purpose.