Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://landroverforums.com/forum/detailing-31/)
-   -   Cleaning Wheels on a Disco II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/detailing-31/cleaning-wheels-disco-ii-6118/)

FTB 2000 Disco 03-25-2007 11:08 PM

Cleaning Wheels on a Disco II

Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the really caked-on brake dust from the 16" rims on a Disco II ? The new stuff comes right off with Greased Lightning, but the old stuff still remains. I don't want to sand them, as I tried that with a car that I had previously. It worked, but it also took off the finish of the rims. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[align=left] [/align]

rphotographer 03-26-2007 12:47 AM

RE: Cleaning Wheels on a Disco II

ive had great luck with the Mr. Clean pads, they are soft white padand have a built in soap...works really well for me.

Ralph

werldcup 03-26-2007 02:43 AM

I would try experimenting with the spray on wheel cleaners and a wheel brush. They all work but some work very well. Don't believe the spray on, wash off line either, none are that good.

I also find that a thick coat of mud tends to cover up any and all brake dust.:D

Disco Mike 03-26-2007 02:16 PM

Here is my 2 cents worth for when you get your wheels cleaned, wax them at least twice with a good paste wax. It will make them look great and the brake dust won't stick to them as before.
Mike

j944 03-29-2007 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Here is my 2 cents worth for when you get your wheels cleaned, wax them at least twice with a good paste wax. It will make them look great and the brake dust won't stick to them as before.
Mike
Eagle One Never Dull wadding polish is great for taking that stuff off. Use Mother wheel polish to maintain.

billinohio 03-29-2007 02:00 PM

i've also found that once nice and clean and making tires shiny, i use black magic, it makes tires look great, so i just spray it on the entire surface rim included, this way when you clean truck next time you just reapply to tire and rim good luck!

Newfoundlandrover 04-01-2007 08:09 PM

Try a medium or coarse rubbing compound to get the stubborn brake residue off.This won't hurt the finish on your wheels.After you have cleaned everything off,do what Mike said and give those rims a couple coats of wax.This will prevent any future staining.Re-apply wax to your rims every couple of months or after using any harse wheel cleaners that can strip off the wax .

Willie 00D2 04-03-2007 01:12 AM

I found that Meguiar's All Wheel cleaner works good on painted wheels for brake dust. Wax is a good idea.

Willie

FTB 2000 Disco 04-05-2007 07:13 PM

Thanks everyone. I tried using Soft Scrub and it worked pretty well. It takes about an hour per wheel, but it gets 99% of the stuff off of there, and it leaves the rims feeling like they have been waxed. I'll try waxing them sometime too. This was brake dust that I have been trying to get off of there for 4 years now...finally gone !

fire1427 04-05-2007 10:57 PM

I've found Kerosene or WD-40 works well for cleaning caked on brake dust /tar from wheels then regular wheel cleaner ...