Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://landroverforums.com/forum/detailing-31/)
-   -   wheel polishing (https://landroverforums.com/forum/detailing-31/wheel-polishing-6855/)

rphotographer 05-15-2007 09:19 PM

wheel polishing

Hello all,

I have a 1999 disco 2, with stock wheels, can theses wheels be polished?? if so what wouldI use on them.

Thanks

Ralph

Disco Mike 05-17-2007 07:32 AM

RE: wheel polishing

Use some brake cleaner to get rid of any heavy stains, then some rubbing compound to give them a good shine the 2 coats of a goos was and they will look really great and you'll find most road or brake dust won't stick as easily. There are also a couple of wheel polish compounds at the auto parts store.
Mike

fx300 07-19-2007 05:24 PM

I once polished my 300zx rims using some rough sand paper and finishing with the highest I could find (1000 or so) not sure on the #I just went to a local paint shop and asked for different types. It was a pain and I had to constantly clean them with a product called Mothers. The rims looked very nice every time I would clean them which had to be every weekend or so. I just believe the work to dothis isa bit too hard for me to ever do it again.Once again, plan on taking quite some time on this. If you can, buy a broken rim to try this.

Fabian

tads 07-23-2007 02:07 PM

Yikes! Sand paper on rims!!! Please be careful. Suggesting a practice rim was a GOOD idea!!

Most wheels are painted. Same type of paint (chemically) as on your vehicle. So fixing problems involves a compound. Or maybe just a simple polishing product which will have less abrasive value than your typical compound.

In any case it is hard, laborious work. Our shop charge per hour on most wheel, metal, and other brightwork polishing is near $100. That's expensive, yes. But ruining your wheels with sand paper or harsh abrasives and inexperienced hands is much more costly.

Just be cautious.

fx300 07-25-2007 08:14 AM

I was 18 or so at the time and do remember the rims looking nice once everything was done and over with, but must admit, very hard work!!! When I wasyoung,had lots of free time, andlimited income I was willing to try anything to make myvehicles look nice.Once again, I will never do this as my hands hurt for abit.

Fabian
Brownsville, Tx.

KarenCaren 04-22-2008 10:31 PM

I got this tip on really-useful.y2u.co.uk.

Here's an easy step by step method.

1. Step back a couple of feet and a bit off to the side of the rim then rinse the rim from about 8 inches away. Be sure to spray into the crevices and spray from different angles.

2. Spray the rim using a circular motion around the outside of the wheel and be sure to rinse the tire as well.

3. Put the sprayer wand down and apply tire cleaning solution onto the tire.

4. Using the pressure washer, rinse the whole tire this time from about 5 inches away.

5. Now spray the rim with rim cleaner generously, following label directions. Usually you'll have to leave it sit on the rim for a few minutes to lift the debris.

6. Rinse the cleaner from the rim from about 8 inches away with the pressure washer.

Note:

2. Always clean the rims before you clean your tires and only clean your wheels after you've cleaned your car body. You don't want all that dirt from the body washing back onto your clean rims.

2. Dry your rims with an old bath towel. Optionally you can apply a light coat of car wax which will keep your rims clean longer and make your next washing easier by reducing the amount of dust that will "stick" to your rims.

So, remember, cleaning your wheels can be done easily and quickly.