Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   [Help] New Rover 95 Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/%5Bhelp%5D-new-rover-95-discovery-i-36183/)

calebbo 11-30-2010 04:04 PM

[Help] New Rover 95 Discovery I

Hi I just got my first Rover, it's a '95 Disco I.

149,xxx miles.

Fresh Black Paint job (guy I bought it from just repainted and resold it).

Interior needs some work but it's all good and decent.

Blaupunkt Daytona Beach C51 Head Unit and stock speakers (only 1 works and another one flips on and off occasionally).

16" wheels with Wild Country tires (needs to be replaced).

The ABS and SRS lights are on (so I guess I need to go code scanner on it's butt right?).

The A/C doesn't work and we think it is the compressor since we replaced the blower motor and the heater works (good thing it's winter right?).

So basically what I am asking is what do I start working on first?
What are some popular mods I guess?
Should I get bigger wheels? What size tires?
How do I replace the speakers? (Are they ALL 4"??!?!?)

I'll update later with pictures, I just got my MS license because I just moved from Texas.

Thanks in advance,
- C.Bo

Disco Mike 11-30-2010 04:44 PM

Do a full major service as posted in the top of the D2 section and make sure all is current before you go throwing mods at it.
I would suggest waiting till you have had at least 5 or 6 good trail runs with other Discos before you throw money at something you don't even know how to drive or what it will handle.

Chris-bob 11-30-2010 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by calebbo (Post 212011)
The A/C doesn't work and we think it is the compressor since we replaced the blower motor and the heater works (good thing it's winter right?).

In case you didn't know, the blower motor only moves the air, it does not cool or heat the air. And there is more to the A/C then just a compressor. If you aren't sure, you may want to take it to a 'good, honest'(good luck finding one) shop(I hate to tell people that) where they can repair it correctly without throwing parts at it. A/C can be expensive if you don't know what you are doing, or cheap if you take the time to learn how it works and have the time and patience to do it right.

ainiguez 11-30-2010 05:46 PM

In addition, before you spend a lot on it, check to see that all is indeed in order. Summertime may reveal issues with the headgasket, etc. (hopefully not)

Spike555 11-30-2010 08:35 PM

The ABS light codes can be read by following the link in the tech section on the top of the page.

The SRS (airbag) trouble codes can only be read by the dealer.

If the red "service engine soon" light is on you can reset that yourself.
If the amber "check engine" light is on then you need to read the codes using the code read that is under the passenger dash.

tibyABv6 11-30-2010 08:40 PM

for ABS check this post ... see post #4 to download instructions on how to get code signal...#24 for location of rellays you need
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ghlight=brakes

Cosmic88 11-30-2010 09:34 PM

Small correction~

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 212080)
...If the amber "check engine" light is on then you need to read the codes using the code read that is under the passenger dash.

Unless the PO got creative with your wiring harness, the display box for fault codes is under the passenger seat on a '95... the OBD1 diag. plug is below the glove box.

Spike555 11-30-2010 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic88 (Post 212092)
Unless the PO got creative with your wiring harness, the display box for fault codes is under the passenger seat on a '95... the OBD1 diag. plug is below the glove box.

Thank you for the correction.

demonlarry 11-30-2010 09:53 PM

I looked under my passenger seat for my diag codes...

snapped a photo of what I saw.

photo link

is this what I'm supposed to see?

DiscoSux 11-30-2010 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by demonlarry (Post 212103)
I looked under my passenger seat for my diag codes...

snapped a photo of what I saw.

photo link

is this what I'm supposed to see?

That looks about right.