Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1996 Disco 1 running hot in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 03:09 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vanbadri
I respectfully very much disagree with the statement that 204 deg. is 3/4 on the gauge. Mine will go to 206 frequently in stop and go without the needle budging at 1/2, and I've got all new temp sensors...
I ended up replacing the thermostat for good measure and got an OBDII Gauge. The temperature peaks at about 206 now, however my crappy dash gauge will also randomly shoot up to the 3/4 mark with the temperature still at 206. I'm guessing there is a bad grounding of the single wire sensor. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bblaik225
I ended up replacing the thermostat for good measure and got an OBDII Gauge. The temperature peaks at about 206 now, however my crappy dash gauge will also randomly shoot up to the 3/4 mark with the temperature still at 206. I'm guessing there is a bad grounding of the single wire sensor. Thanks for the help everyone.
206 should really only be hit in super slow stop and go or uphill heavy load driving.

There is a thread on Dweb regarding phantom overheating and it being related to the A/C blower motor going and grounds on the vehicle. Pay attention to the position of the a/c fan speed switch and the temperture on the dash. If you're having the issue I was and others have reported, you should be able to turn the a/c off and the gauge should fall instantly to normal range. I took apart and cleaned all of mine to try and fix that issue and it didn't seem to make a difference at first, but in the past few weeks I haven't had the phantom / fake overheating lately. Fingers crossed

https://discoweb.org/showthread.php?...om+overheating

Old 08-14-2018, 03:48 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat
206 should really only be hit in super slow stop and go or uphill heavy load driving.

There is a thread on Dweb regarding phantom overheating and it being related to the A/C blower motor going and grounds on the vehicle. Pay attention to the position of the a/c fan speed switch and the temperture on the dash. If you're having the issue I was and others have reported, you should be able to turn the a/c off and the gauge should fall instantly to normal range. I took apart and cleaned all of mine to try and fix that issue and it didn't seem to make a difference at first, but in the past few weeks I haven't had the phantom / fake overheating lately. Fingers crossed

https://discoweb.org/showthread.php?...om+overheating
The 206 was obtained by driving slowly up a 6 story parking garage is 95 degree heat, I was deliberately trying to test the system. Is the grounding issue mentioned in the thread solved by cleaning the ground connection to the frame in the kick panel?

Old 08-14-2018, 03:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I would and did clean ground in both kick panels, and the negative battery cable. The battery cable runs from the battery, to a lug on the body right below the fuse box, then to the frame. pull it off completely and clean them all.

The ground strap that goes from the cable to the body ground is a pile of garbage design. They removed a section of insulation and crimped and strap to ground to the body. It allows corrosion to enter the middle of the cable and cause resistance. Make sure you thoroughly check that section of exposed cable for corrosion or crap an clean it well with electronic cleaner. If you can solder, I would flow some solder in there improve it as well and then get some heatshrink or electric tape on it to prevent crap from getting on that exposed wire and corroding it again.