Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   255/85/16 ?s (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/255-85-16-s-67919/)

98D1Chap 06-30-2014 12:01 PM

255/85/16 ?s

I'd like some feedback from anyone running this size tire. I know it's only marginally wider and a lot taller which is exactly what I want. I've seen it on a Defender 90 and it looked perfect IMHO.

It's a 33" tire so I'm just wondering how much more the truck will drag @$$. I don't really even care if it does, it's not a race car. I'm just wanting to hear other people's impressions if they're driving or have driven on them.

Oh, I'll mount them when I install the TF Med Duty - FYI.

HammerFit 06-30-2014 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by 98D1Chap (Post 470860)
I'd like some feedback from anyone running this size tire. I know it's only marginally wider and a lot taller which is exactly what I want. I've seen it on a Defender 90 and it looked perfect IMHO.

It's a 33" tire so I'm just wondering how much more the truck will drag @$$. I don't really even care if it does, it's not a race car. I'm just wanting to hear other people's impressions if they're driving or have driven on them.

Oh, I'll mount them when I install the TF Med Duty - FYI.

I'm switched from 30's to 33's and I don't notice any difference in power. It was really slow before and now it is still really slow. I do notice that I'm buying more gas than before and my speedo is off about 7 mph.

jafir 06-30-2014 01:50 PM

I ran them on my D2 no trimming needed for me, with an aftermarket front bumper.... I'd think you'd have to trim a bit on a D1 or anything with a stock bumper.

98D1Chap 06-30-2014 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jafir (Post 470882)
I ran them on my D2 no trimming needed for me, with an aftermarket front bumper.... I'd think you'd have to trim a bit on a D1 or anything with a stock bumper.

The TF MD suspension should give me about 2" of lift, but if I need to trim it's no biggie.

Thanks.

jafir 06-30-2014 02:34 PM

Yeah, I had 2-3" of lift, but springs alone make the car ride higher, but unless you change bump stops or something to limit upward travel it won't keep you from rubbing if used aggressively off road.

98D1Chap 06-30-2014 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by jafir (Post 470888)
Yeah, I had 2-3" of lift, but springs alone make the car ride higher, but unless you change bump stops or something to limit upward travel it won't keep you from rubbing if used aggressively off road.

Cool. Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe do some test runs. I'm in south Texas and there's nothing but mud (occasionally!) and sand (South Padre) to play in so I won't be doing much flexing anywhere even if I wanted to.

ArmyRover 06-30-2014 07:58 PM

I ran them on my 91 RRC, it definitely hurt the gas mileage, and power was down. It was tolerable but very noticeable.

I had a 3" OME lift and needed to trim the rear wheel well at the edge of the rear door.

FantomRover 06-30-2014 10:04 PM

I'm running 285's (wider 33's) on an older set of ome hd springs. You'll definitely notice the power loss but it's tolerable, even as a dd! You'll definitely need to trim, I did just fine with camel cut in rear but then I decided to chop the portion metal where the camel cut is preformed from the plastic down. I also did a camel cut in the front too. If you like being able to pull into and out of parking spaces without making a couple turns then you'll want to run some wheel spacers or get offset wheels. I personally run 1.5 wheel spacers only in the front for my turning radius. I must say that the tires stuff really really well. Plus I didn't even mention the ground clearance! I've got more clearance than a jeep jk on 35's! All and all it's no issue to make them fit, I'd say go for it

Nikontomh 07-23-2014 04:26 AM

I have 255/85/16 m/t's , had to put 30mm spacers on to stop the rubbing and they stabilised the ride a lot , had to camel cut the rear arches and need to have a look at the front trim as I think it still catches sometimes , no difference in power though as mine was always a snail

98D1Chap 08-21-2014 07:44 PM

They didn't fit!!! Cooper ST Maxx 255/85/16.