Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

95 Discovery front windows not working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Discovery front windows not working.

Hey guys,

Coming home from work the other day I rolled up my front windows to take a call and when I went to bring them back down nothing happened.

So I checked the fuses and no problems there.
Went on every forum looking for an answer and found the basic solder job on the window ecu for the rear windows. Needed to do it anyways so went for it and the rear windows are now operational. But my front windows are doing nothing.
Here is everything I have checked or done so far.

1) Checked window regulators for the front and they both work when external power is applied.
2) Fuses are all good

3) Central switches checked and working. Power is getting to each front window switch.

4) window ecu re-sodered and back windows now working. Also swapped out a spare window ecu from a Disco with working windows to make sure there was still not a problem with the re-soldered one. clicking occurs at the ecu when the 2 front window power switches are pressed.

I have a feeling it might be a pinched wire. Any ideas where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you swapped the rear and front window switches to rule them out?
You say the fronts have power to the switches but is it getting past them?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the reply Spike555. I have tried and they all work fine with the rear windows.

I am guessing I am going to have to try and follow the wire and see if it is cut somewhere. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Is it possible the window ecu can still be the problem after the soldering job even if rear windows work after it was performed?

Is there another relay (little green or yellow boxes under glove compartment) that I should be looking for.
Maybe I am missing something in the rave manual???

Thanks

Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont know man, electrical is not my thing.
Once you figure it out please post your fix.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Check your grounds. When my headlights are on I can't roll my windows up and down because I disconnected the ground near the parking brake.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Overlanding

Thank you guys. Will do about finding the fix.
Soldered some more points on the window ecu that looked like they needed it and still no go.
A ground makes complete sense to me, just a little lost to were they are located.
Eric can you specify where by the parking break the ground is located? Do I need to remove the center console to get to it?
Thanks again.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah it's actually underneath the center console's storage bin, near the SRS module and parking brake.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Overlanding
Default A little update.

Put the car back together yesterday and decided I was going to wait until the weekend to figure out the window situation.
Drove the car last night. My lights where on.
After about 20 minutes I notice my car was acting up.
Lack of power on acceleration with a bit of a spuder. The speedometer was fluctuating up and down.
Decided to turn of the lights off quickly while driving and sure enough went back to driving normal.
Put my lights in secondary position so others cars could at least see me. Again felt a change in power but better then with the lights completely on. Then the check engine light came on and the car felt like one of the o2 sensors was bad. (probably from the lack of spark in the cylinder)
Made it to my location and checked the fault code sure enough "45". Decided to leave the car over night.
Tried to drive it back home and symptoms(lack of power) appeared again as I was getting on the freeway. Made it to the off-ramp and the car died.
Lucky for me a friend was close by and gave me a jump.
Enough to at least get off the off-ramp.
We had to charge the car via jump at least 3 times to get it back to the house.
Going to pull the center console and check the ground that Eric mentioned to see if that could be the issue and then check if the alternator is actually charging the battery.
Any thoughts from anyone else that might have experienced this, please let me know.
Thank you

Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Now this really sounds like an alternator issue. Either the wires to/from it or the unit itself. It'd investigate that first.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Overlanding

Thanks Eric.
I checked with a volt meter the three bolts behind the alternator and they all read 12+ volts. So I think it works?
But not sure if that's the right way to test it.

Also pulled center console but the ground located there was on nice and tight.

What I did discover was that the fuses for the Anti-theft Alarm were both dead. (satellite 1, #1 and #5) Changed them and they are holding.
When I pulled the Antilock braking(Satellite 2, #3) the fuse was also dead.
Changed the Antilock braking fuse and it is holding for the moment.

I read on this forum that you could find the problem by pulling fuses one by one while the car was on and having a volt meter checking the battery and seeing when the voltage stops dropping.
Pulled all the fuses one by one to no avail. I did notice that when I pulled the Antilock braking fuse that the car died. Is this normal?

Hoping to have more time to look into this tomorrow or over the weekend.

Thanks for the support guys!!

Quick Reply: 95 Discovery front windows not working.