Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   96 Disco - in need of some major help troubleshooting (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/96-disco-need-some-major-help-troubleshooting-43584/)

fuze-17 09-07-2011 11:07 PM

96 Disco - in need of some major help troubleshooting

current problem:

The engine will idle, and i can hear the fuel pump running, but as soon as i press the accelerator down there is a power loss ( when i let up the rpms rise just a little bit ) I am at a loss as to what this is;

Here is what i have done,

1) pulled up the carpet and verified that the fuel pump is working.
2) checked that my fuel filter was not clogged
3) check the air intake, and although yes it was dirty i just removed the filter thinking that if that was the problem then temporarily removing the filter would have fixed it. Problem still exists
4) I have a cheap OBD2 reader, i did get two codes off but I am not sure if they could be the problem;

P0420
P0113

Please some troubleshooting advice would be really helpful, it is 9:05 PM i am still at my work ( i was having problems with it all morning on the way to work... I could put the transmision in neutral and then turn the engine off / on and the problem would litteraly go away for about 30-45 seconds. ) I am going to walk home tonight if i cant fix it. I am strapped for cash, and need to know what to buy and what not to buy.. ANYONE please help me

Thank you

Savannah Buzz 09-07-2011 11:30 PM

P0113
Air Temperature Sensor High Out of Range Fault
P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Low Fault Bank A Found these on Land Rover OBD-II Trouble Codes

But what about vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator, or the FPR? Check the fuel pressure on the schrader valve on the fuel rail? Clean Idle Air Control Valve? TPS sensor?

fuze-17 09-08-2011 03:25 AM

I just read about the tps and am gonna check that. Fuel pressure is good on fuel rail. It was reccomend I clean up the idle air control valve.. did that. Thank you for the good direction !! Thank you man

ValveCoverGasket 09-08-2011 11:13 AM

see if you cant check the resistance of the air temp sensor and see if it changes with outside air temp - try it mid day then try it in the morning, or if you have a head gun handy you can shoot a heat gun at it while checking to see that resistance changes.
otherwise it may be a short in the wiring if the sensor itself appears to change resistance...

a failed air temp sensor will cause it to run funny for sure...

Chris-bob 09-08-2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by fuze-17 (Post 266877)
I just read about the tps and am gonna check that. Fuel pressure is good on fuel rail. It was reccomend I clean up the idle air control valve.. did that. Thank you for the good direction !! Thank you man

What was the reading you got on the fuel pressure gauge you hooked up to the rail?

Danny Lee 97 Disco 09-08-2011 12:04 PM

Where is the air temp sensor located?
Is there a good place to read the resistance?

Paul Grant 09-08-2011 12:06 PM

The air temperature sensor is in the lid of the air cleaner assembly. The code is saying that it is reading on the high side. It's the first in a chain of sensors to help the ECU do its balancing act. You can do what ValveCoverGasket recommends but I think the test will only confirm what your ECU is already telling you. It is operating out of range and needs to be replaced.

As far as P0420 is concerned, that typically indicated to need for a new catalytic convertor but without more real time data I would be hesitant to make that expensive leap right away.

ValveCoverGasket 09-08-2011 12:33 PM

my suggestion was primarily to try to narrow the issue between the wiring to the sensor, or the sensor itself. its likely that its the sensor though.

you can probably just go and swap out the sensor if its reasonably priced, as the wiring is probably not going to be bad... but sometimes it doesnt hurt to check.

i also dont think id go any further with troubleshooting until youve sorted out the sensor

fuze-17 09-08-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Grant (Post 266938)
The air temperature sensor is in the lid of the air cleaner assembly. The code is saying that it is reading on the high side..

I removed the sensor ( as the default is to display normal temperature, being in California i am sure this is ok) The problem did not go away, Im investigating the TPS today.

Paul Grant 09-08-2011 01:06 PM

If you get a chance, check the sensor with an ohm meter and post up what you find. It isn't out of the question that the high reading on the air temp sensor is being caused by a severe restriction in the exhaust, ie. a blocked cat. You are already getting indications of a failure in one of the cats from the P0420 code.