Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 4.0 high idle and overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toran
What was your High RPMs solution?
The program that was linked above that reset adaptive values and obdscan cable from amazon for 30$.
I just went through getting it to work on my computer and can help. Would lend my cable if you were local and save 30$.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by spurcap
The program that was linked above that reset adaptive values and obdscan cable from amazon for 30$.
I just went through getting it to work on my computer and can help. Would lend my cable if you were local and save 30$.
I appreciate the offer but I am way to far north of you. Still I would like to get my RPMs below its current 900 at idle.
Was the software pretty straight forward? Mac or PC?

Thanks

Old 10-17-2019, 10:50 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Toran
I appreciate the offer but I am way to far north of you. Still I would like to get my RPMs below its current 900 at idle.
Was the software pretty straight forward? Mac or PC?

Thanks
The software works in a dos command prompt in Windows 10 and is not exactly user friendly but easy to use once you get it working. It also says to work on Mac but I have no mac experience so can't help on this.

It took me a long time of troubleshooting to get it working as it wasn't working for me. Ultimately I needed to update the firmware for my cable and then it worked as designed. Needed to download software to update firmware and then change a setting for baud rate to get the firmware to update. After that was two seconds in the command prompt and my idle was stable 700.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

That’s wonderful to hear, and congrats on the success!
If you have time by all means please do tell of the steps needed in details as I would very luch like to resolve this once and for all. 700rpms sounds like a dream.

Which cable did you get that required the firmware update?
I have an older device running Windows 10 and I want to get it ready.

Thanks

Old 10-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Three Wheeling

I used this cable
Amazon Amazon

Steps:
- plug in cable and follow instructions that come with it to setup obdwiz softwade
- plug into car and verify obdwiz software is working as it should so you have a baseline that drivers are setup etc.
- on obdwiz website find latest firmware software install and open, change baud rate to 162000 or something like that. Can use trial and error until it works
- get gems.exe file and save somewhere on your hard drive (I saved on c:\ root folder for ease in finding)
- open device manager and look under com ports with your cable plugged in to find the com port your cable is using - mine was com5
- make sure obdwiz software is disconnected or won work
-cable should be plugged into computer and truck with truck not running but key all the way over so oil light is on
- open command prompt
- if saved in C:\ go:
Cd\
Then gems comX reset (where comX is the port from devmanager)

That did it for me. I can send links to gems.exe and firmware update software if you can't find once cable is setup and working

Old 10-17-2019, 11:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Sweet!
I got the cable in my shopping cart now.
If you have the links that would be awesome or I could track them down via the net.

Thanks

Old 10-17-2019, 02:35 PM
Three Wheeling

GEMS software: http://www.flemcodesign.com/files/GEMS.zip

Firmware update (ver 4.5.1) https://www.scantool.net/downloads/updates/obdlink_sx/

Drivers should install when you setup Obdwiz with the instructions that come with the cable. But if not, you can find the drivers here:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Old 10-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Rock solid and super thanks spurcap!
This will get the truck down to the sweet RPM zone.

Sorry WilsonSandy07 for semi hijacking the thread

Old 10-30-2019, 12:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input, but will this fix my problem if my rpms fluctuate? It’s not a steady high idle, when in park it sometimes revs itself up to 2k and slowly brings itself back down.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:17 PM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

My truck has done that when the battery has been worn down (lights left on). A new battery might be in order.

The following users liked this post:
Hatchetjack (11-18-2019)

Quick Reply: 97 4.0 high idle and overheating