Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   98 Disco sale help (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/98-disco-sale-help-43360/)

njcct84 08-30-2011 10:21 AM

98 Disco sale help

Hi all,

I'm new here, but I have a 98 blue disco that recently overheated and blew a head gasket, and possibly has block damage. This happened when the water pump malfunctioned and a belt came loose (perhaps off the alternator?) and the car overheated quickly and started smoking (white smoke - so either coolant or oil in the engine).

The car has under 100k miles, 3 month old Michelin tires, a brand new never used water pump, a 1 month old new fuel pump, and I have only taken the car to the dealership for maintenance since I bought it used back in 2002.

My question is, what is a fair price for this car? It doesn't have to be exact as I am not providing any kind of 3rd party report at this time, but I'd like to get a ballpark estimate of what the car is worth.

Thank you.

Chris-bob 08-30-2011 11:47 AM

If everything else works, I'd offer $400-600 max.

Savannah Buzz 08-30-2011 11:59 AM

You are in that tough area - repair costs may be greater than vehicle value. But if you were a DIY, head gaskets parts run about $300, and you may not need machine shop work. On the other hand, if dropped liner, repairs are high, or put in a used / new motor.

So if you have two weekends to work on it and $300, you may fix it and enjoy it for years to come. Or it may be in vain because you need a new block. On the other hand, were you planning on buying another ride just now?

And there is always head gasket repair liquid promise in a bottle, may work, and if it doesn't you have not severely diminished the value of the project truck. Engine from savage yard or dismantler is also an option.

You can also use www.statewidelist.com to search for Rovers in your state to see what they are going for.

Paul Grant 08-30-2011 01:21 PM

Chris-bob is right on the money with his estimate. You may be able to get more from an unsuspecting first timer but anyone with a little experience will be wary of a truck with a blown motor. I buy Rovers like yours all the time for parts. I never pay more that $500 for a non runner. It's probably not what you wanted to hear but it's the truth. Anything more that $500 and you have a sucker on your hands. Tell them I have a bridge across the East River in NY I need to sell.
Cheers,
Paul

Danny Lee 97 Disco 08-31-2011 08:57 AM

I was going to offer him twenty bucks to start with and be willing to go as high as fifty if need be. You big spenders.

discomedic4 08-31-2011 05:34 PM

If you have the time and patience you could part it out and get more but otherwise 500 is your best hope.

njcct84 09-01-2011 08:37 AM

Appreciate the responses

I'll look into parts and repairing the vehicle myself. Thank you. I do want to keep the car as I can't stand the look of anything by Land Rover after the 2002 fleet.

Regarding sale price. The tires alone are worth over 1g. I've posted a sale for them around 500 and got an offer. The catalytic converter has platinum in it, and I know how to extract that. So I would sell it at the commodities spot price for platinum. There is a brand new never used water pump. There is a brand new fuel pump. All these have value, and I would sell them independent of the vehicle.

Also, when the vehicle was diagnosed, an employee at the Rover dealership offered me 900. So that would be the floor.

But appreciate the input

Chris-bob 09-01-2011 10:17 AM

If the guy offered $900, then sell it. You will never get a sale like that again in it's current condition.(unless you lie about it's condition like a snake oil salesman)

On the vehicle, all the new 'stuff' has no real value, it only increases 'curb appeal'. The reason the mechanic offered you $900 is because he has the facilities and LR tools to make the job a lot easier. Most everyone else would be working out of their own garage/driveway or indy shop and not have the same info the LR tech has. I once had someone offer(and bought) my 1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer for $2500. Was it worth that? Nope, it needed a new t-case, but the guy wanted it and didn't care, so I sold it. Does that mean that full size jeeps are worth $2500 with a dead t-case? Nope. Not one bit.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 09-02-2011 12:42 PM

You should have taken the 900 dollar offer.

There is no way the used tires have a "value" over 1g, not to any of us that know anything. The entire truck in it's current condition ain't worth 1g.

The fuel pumpwill only fit that specific version of the Discovery, so it's value is limited as is the potential buyer's market. Similar situation for the water pump.

You should contact that Rover Tech and see if he is still willing to go 900.
It's yours, do with it whatever you want.

skatelove303 09-03-2011 07:35 PM

^who died and made this guy Rover Expert!?^

No offense Danny but your kinda rude and disrespectful. Its all cool to offer your opinion but its not ok to be a complete D*** about everything. Sorry if this is against LRforums rules but i think someone needed to say it.