Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 takes gas so slow

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Blow into gas tank?

I've been reading through Tom's build thread as suggested and saw the photo of the blown canister, but nothing about the vent tubes yet.

Here's a question for Tom ect all; if I seal up the gas fill hole with a hose of some kind and blow (gently) down it, should I feel air coming out of one or both vent tubes? I sure don't want to blow up the charcoal canister, and I can't tell if shoving the trimmer string down the tubes did anything.

I've been searching for a diagram of the AEL filler and vents to see if there are valves involved, but found nothing useful so far except that the vents seem to be built into the filler neck.

This system seems to be about as frustrating as those new non-vented plastic gas cans with the spout you have to hold open while the gas splatters off the end valve in all directions - had to be some govt bureaucrat who thought that one up.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

I don't have anything on the vents iirc disconnect the canister and it won't blow up lol

There are I think 2 vent hoses? Plastic with a loop in it and a rubber one? Rubber one going to filler neck can rott away, I've seen pics,

obviously you see things I tried and peoples recommendations, replacing the stupid fuel sender fixed my no start, hard to fill gas, and emissions codes I could not get rid of

Not saying its your problem it just worked for me, mine was so bad it was shorting