Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS = annoying..yeah

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

And to answer the question:
"does anybody know what to do"

I mean, did anybody see what I did wrong? I tried to find the ABS code problem using the blink method but I can't seem to do it. I unplugged the relays (one at a time because I don't know which one is the ABS Relay), put in a paperclip in the blue connector under the driver dash, put my key in position 2, switched it to 1 then 2 (3x), and waited for a code to flash at me.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is always going to be someone that gives you a hard time..its called internet warriors...honestly in your case to save some money and headaches later from a non op abs..just pull the 30a abs fuse under the hood

but to answer your original prob..i have no clue..sorry..i disable abs on all my vehicles

Old 12-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shouldn't have removed my ABS huh?

If you would like to give me your credit card info i'd be happy to charge a new Land Rover ABS Modulator to it. You can just p.m. it to me and that will suffice. There will be a mandatory "Read from the beginning of the post" fee applied.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo

I mean, did anybody see what I did wrong? I tried to find the ABS code problem using the blink method but I can't seem to do it. I unplugged the relays (one at a time because I don't know which one is the ABS Relay), put in a paperclip in the blue connector under the driver dash, put my key in position 2, switched it to 1 then 2 (3x), and waited for a code to flash at me.
Dude, my post was directed at the numbskulls telling you to rip it out, not you. Luddites suck, learn for goodnessakes, its the only thing that keeps us separate from the apes.

Pins 5 nd 15. Look at the connector, the pin holes are numbered at one end inside the connector. You might have a clear plastic coated paper clip too. Use a bit of wire or sand it off till it is shiny.

If you are unsuccessful, post back and I'll take some pictures to help out.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by geek_IM
Dude, my post was directed at the numbskulls telling you to rip it out, not you. Luddites suck, learn for goodnessakes, its the only thing that keeps us separate from the apes.
A lot of people have learned. They've learned that the D1 ABS systems can fail in such a way to leave the driver with no brakes.
So apparently you feel safer on the road with cars that may suddenly, and with no warning, loose their brakes coming up to an intersection you're crossing, than you would with someone driving a car without ABS that they know will always stop. Seems strange to me.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geek_IM

Pins 5 nd 15. Look at the connector, the pin holes are numbered at one end inside the connector. You might have a clear plastic coated paper clip too. Use a bit of wire or sand it off till it is shiny.

If you are unsuccessful, post back and I'll take some pictures to help out.
Ya know, you should maybe keep ABS in your truck as it seems your the base it was created for. Over 115 of the 120 cars I have owned where ABS free. Yet, I survived without incident in some of the harshest environments for a car out there (North Dakota for over 25 years) The ONLY problem I have ever had with brakes was due to this crap ABS system. The Only Accident I have ever had was due to ABS in a brand new Chevy (literally 5 days old) deciding that it new how to brake better than I did on ice.

How much real work is it to learn how to correctly drive a car in the first place? Take the thing out into a nice big empty field covered in Ice and snow and play with it, learn how to use your brakes, how to steer correctly to correct a spin, etc... these things SHOULD be second nature to a driver. Instead, we make drivers dependent on these Band-Aids and when those band-aids come fail they are screwed.

Also, how do you justify spending more than the truck is worth to fix ABS? I his case, being 16 I'm sure he's not loaded with cash dripping out his pockets to toss at this truck. Nothing about removing the ABS in these threads is incorrect and could save his life.

Oh btw, that service engine light is another issue. I guess telling him to reach under the pass side kick panel unplugging the module responsible for it and tossing as far away from the truck as he can throw it is again bad advice. Instead he should take the truck to a certified land rover shop and have the laundry list of mandatory repairs performed like the rest of the sheep.

Last edited by ngarover; 12-14-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo

this is just my opinion and I will tell you right now I do not know the answer to your question so if you don't want to hear my opinion stop reading now. This forum is a resource for free help from people who have dealt with an exact rover problem you are dealing with (whatever that may be). They are providing you with advice and assistance based on there own experience and often times advice they were given right here on this very forum in the past. with your ABS problem I know exactly how you feel everyone is saying disable the ABS when you want everything on your truck working, my ABS didn't work when I got the truck and I wanted to "fix" mine too, not disable it. Well I read the codes and got it working great and I was so proud of myself for about 2 days, then it failed as I was approaching a stop sign coming to a very busy 4 lane road with a speed limit of 45 (most traffic does about 55) with my wife and 2 daughters in the truck, I was lucky enough to run the truck against the curb and use the ebrake to get us to stop in time before I killed us, another driver, or a pedestrian. Anyways the guys on here suggest to you to disable the ABS and not to fix it for 2 reasons first because that is the best suggestion and second because that is the advice they took and because of that many of them do not know how to fix it.

Now here is my advice, you are dealing with a safety device in the vehicle and unless you know what you are doing you should never perform this work yourself as the results could actually cost you your life (I am not saying not to learn how to do it but don't use the manual or the forum as your teacher). If you can't afford to have someone who is trained in these systems repair it for you (or help/teach you) then you should take the cheap route and just disable it.

PS usually the code is wheel sensors and if I remember correctly they are about $250 each.

Last edited by Rover Chris; 12-14-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

FWIW, I'm not telling anyone to disable the ABS, or to not disable it, just pointing out some of the risks involved with what you decide to do. Only the individual can decide what is best for them.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
PS usually the code is wheel sensors and if I remember correctly they are about $250 each.
I just looked it up and AB wants $300 for the fronts and $330 for the rears. I believe these are the cheapest replacement part of the ABS system in our trucks.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys.

I tried to use a different paperclip, and yes it was all metal. No luck. I'm guessing I'll just take out the fuse under the hood. I do not feel like dying just because my Annoying Bull Spit system is very touchy and needs constant care. I don't have the funds to spend $1200 on front and rear sensors (if that's even the problem) and I am just trying to keep her running and working. If I can drive and do everything normally without ABS then yes, I feel she is working and running properly. Thanks guys for the help anyways.

Quick Reply: ABS = annoying..yeah