Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS light on

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 06:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Default ABS light on

Quite awhile ago my ABS light came on, and every time I stopped, the brakes would Buzz (ABS active) I removed the fuse from the fuse box under the hood and they stopped "Buzzing" when I hit the brakes. Now that I replaced the CV joint and Swivel Ball on the drivers side, I replaced the fuse that I removed. the brakes seem to be working correctly but the ABS light is still on.

Do I need to reset the light with an OBDII scanner?? I was thinking it would go out on it'd own but I guess not. My scanner does not read ABS codes or reset them so I thought I'd ask before purchasing a new one that will do all this.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same symptoms. I didn't get in the clear until I replaced my driver's side ABS sensor.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

You short pin 5 and 15 on the Data Port to read/clear ABS codes which are short and long blinks of that light. Anyways, that should knock out the light once cleared otherwise you get to stare at that yellow light until it burns out. I will have to look up the codes cleared blink code, been a long while......

Oh, and the answer to your question on using a hand held is no, the WABCO ABS is TestBook 4 and possibly an Autologic.

Last edited by ihscouts; 04-28-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:52 AM
Pro Wrench

OK, thanks!

Of course, today it started acting strange again...
after driving a bit, the light went out and when I stopped a few times, the brakes started their buzzing just as I came to a complete stop. then it quit buzzing and the ABS light came back on. It may just get disconnected again. I just thought it would be nice to have the light shut off and the system working, but I have been getting by just fine without the system working.

I would like to try resetting the light with the pins...

Old 04-29-2015, 05:57 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The problem with the D1 ABS is that even when it's working correctly, it can (often does) fail in such a way that you have almost no brakes at all. It happened to me approaching a stop sign leading on to a normally busy road, about 13 years ago. Mine's been disabled ever since. Then again, when I bought my '95 in 2001 it was the first ABS equipped vehicle I'd owned since I started driving in '70, so I don't really miss it.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:04 AM
Pro Wrench

same happened to me when I first got the truck. I pulled the fuse and it has been removed ever since. I figured the rust coated CV joint was the problem, and since that has been replaced, thought I'd give it a try.I will most likely just pull the fuse again .

Old 05-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default pull the fuse for safety?

Originally Posted by antichrist
The problem with the D1 ABS is that even when it's working correctly, it can (often does) fail in such a way that you have almost no brakes at all. It happened to me approaching a stop sign leading on to a normally busy road, about 13 years ago. Mine's been disabled ever since. Then again, when I bought my '95 in 2001 it was the first ABS equipped vehicle I'd owned since I started driving in '70, so I don't really miss it.
My 98 had the anti lock light on and front sensor codes that both went away for awhile when I tapped the sensors down and erased the codes, but now the anti-lock light is usually on and just once in a while goes out when driving. I have not checked the codes in a while and I often get the buzzing brake pedal and it usually kicks when I start the engine with a foot on the brake, but just yesterday (ironically after the light had gone out again) I finally experienced the really really loud buzzing pedal and almost no brakes phenomenon and it was scarey.

Will pulling the fuse turn the brakes into a safe non-ABS brake system without the danger of the darn thing taking over again? Is there any down side other than just using the brakes the way I learned to drive years ago? Was there some recall on the D1 system that might still be active?

Old 05-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Not sure about a recall but I puled the fuse under the hood 1 1/2 years ago when I first started driving my D1 and got the no brakes buzz. I recently repaired the front drivers side Swivel ball and CV joint. it was leaking fluid and the CV joint was making noise, and covered with rust. I figured that was why the ABS wasn't working. I think I may have other problems and will most likely pull the fuse again. It does make the Anti-lock brakes light stay on all the time.

No problems braking with the fuse pulled.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:23 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by philwarner
Will pulling the fuse turn the brakes into a safe non-ABS brake system without the danger of the darn thing taking over again? Is there any down side other than just using the brakes the way I learned to drive years ago? Was there some recall on the D1 system that might still be active?
Yes, you can pull both, small one under dash, larger under the the bonnet.
I guess the only downside (and that's a matter of opinion) is no ABS.
No, it won't ever kick in if the fuses are pulled.

When the failure of mine took me through a stop sign my ABS light wasn't on. It failed without warning.
I'm not aware of any recall. I believe it's a design flaw. Failure mode seems to be no brakes.

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (05-04-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Pro Wrench

scarey way for it to fail!!