Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Am I on the right track with P1316 code? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/am-i-right-track-p1316-code-76068/)

Kilby 10-17-2015 09:45 PM

Am I on the right track with P1316 code?

Hi all, my recently acquired 97 SE with 138,000 miles has the 1316 code. It came with it. I guess that's one of it's options from the factory?? :D

Anyway, I'm moving down the list of things to address it. Have searched up a ton of info, and done lots of the recommended service items. Here's what I've done so far
[LIST][*]New Denso plugs, gapped .035[*]New 8mm wires[*]Cleaned MAF[*]Cleaned TB and IACV[*]44k in the tank, but hasn't really run too much of that yet[*]Seafoam induction[*]New oil/filter

Kilby 10-17-2015 09:48 PM

I'm not sure what's going on with this. It didn't post my whole thing, and screwed up the BBCode. WTF? Here's what I meant to post... Sorry!

Hi all, my recently acquired 97 SE with 138,000 miles has the 1316 code. It came with it. I guess that's one of it's options from the factory?? :D

Anyway, I'm moving down the list of things to address it. Have searched up a ton of info, and done lots of the recommended service items. Here's what I've done so far
  • New Denso plugs, gapped .035
  • New 8mm wires
  • Cleaned MAF
  • Cleaned TB and IACV
  • 44k in the tank, but hasn't really run too much of that yet
  • Seafoam induction
  • New oil/filter

So far, none of that has yielded any big improvements. Here are the symptoms:
  • Very rough idle at start
  • Won't stay running until it's warm
  • When driving it won't accelerate when the pedal is floored... kind of stalls out at about 2k indicated RPMs.
  • Smells rich, and kind of a stumbling idle once it stays running

So I've got new upstream O2 sensors ordered, and will have them Monday. But I'm thinking, due to the lack of accelerator function, I should also be looking at the truck's TPS. Does that sound right? Is that cleanable or just replace it? I figured I'd go with those before looking at fuel injectors.

What do y'all think?

ihscouts 10-17-2015 10:34 PM

Throttle Position Sensor - failure of the sensor will result in poor idle and lack of throttle response. If failure occurs in the closed position the engine will only reach 1750 rev/min when the ECM will initiate overrun fuel cut off. Replace it, there is no cleaning a TPS when it's electrical fault is due to a worn contact disc.

Kilby 10-20-2015 10:12 AM

quick update

I got the new throttle position sensor installed last night... for anyone who's interested now or in the future after i reconnected the battery and fired the rig up with the new sensor in place it took the truck about 5 minutes of running all weird for it to figure itself out.

It bogged down and cut out. Then it idled at about 2k indicated. Then it slowly sort of leveled off to idle at around 1k. Then I was able to drive it around a little. Initially had a couple small backfires, but as it ran it smoothed out a lot. I drove it for about twice the time it has taken previously for the Check Engine light to come on, and no light came back on. So far. Hope it's not reading this. :D

Anyway. That's my experience w/ the TPS. I'm not sure if I "need" to replace O2 sensors at this point or not. I guess at some point I will... heh.

ihscouts 10-20-2015 05:28 PM

Warm idle is 675 +/-5 rpm. 1k is a wee bit high. Install the new O2's, they're most important sensor on the truck.

Kilby 10-23-2015 01:49 PM

O2 sensors

So, uh... how exactly do you reach the front O2 sensor wire connectors?? Or do you just splice in the new ones? ;)

WaltNYC 10-23-2015 02:17 PM

Many pull the coil pack to get to them. Others practice yoga.

Shiftonthefly1 10-23-2015 03:15 PM

Seriously one of the dumbest most idiotic frustrating things to do on the truck...why is the plug you have to remove the one that has the tab for the mount? ??! The plug not only ensures you have to use two hands (or at least one w a long flat head screwdriver in the other) but it's also extremely hard to reach! Every single time I have to do that job I curse the truck. Why oh why couldn't they mount that plug on the fire wall???!

rant over

Kilby 10-28-2015 12:35 PM

Got the O2's in, and had 'er running great around the neighborhood for a little bit. Then driving to the E test place, she threw a P1177. So I'm gonna test fuel pressure. Looks like an original fuel filter, so I'm planning to replace that. If pressure is low, is that the right thing to do first?

If pressure's NOT low... um. Step 3, PROFIT!! :rolleyes:

ihscouts 10-28-2015 07:52 PM

You haven't driven it enough to loose the LTFT too rich Fuel Mass Flow Rate with more drive cycles. If it was Short Term then I'd say you have an issue. Long Term is much less about the now, much more about the past and the past you had bad/lazy O2's installed. Let it ride for awhile. Too rich means it's getting too much fuel/not enough air. Not enough air can be MAF, fuel pressure too high, former O2's, Fuel Pressure Regulator - blah, blah, blah. Give it a minute to measure more drive cycles before diving in.