Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Another New guy with questions, yes I used search

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another New guy with questions, yes I used search

I own an SE7, it has a new motor, Transmission, radiator, A/C, Power steering gear box and pump. New tires, PO even installed Slotted and drilled rotors, new brakes, I dont see any rust and I have looked where most have reported it.

Tach is jumping around so after reading I see I may be R&R a new alternator

I assume 10w30 royal purple will work with it? barring any arguement to brands please

What tire pressures are you guys running on stock tires?

I need seat covers, who makes some nice affordable covers?

How are you guys dealing with clear coat oxidation?

Affordable alternators? I hate mail order and typically wont do it, locally we have autozone, oriellys, napa, which would you choose?

Seat switch and covers, where do you guys source yours from?

My wife traded her 1970 Wagoneer for this car. We name all our cars, the waggy was Daisy and our new to us Disco is Ruby.

My wife saying goodbye to Daisy, My wife is 7 months pregnant, We needed to get something more updated with more safety features. We are a Jeep family. This is our first Disco. Love it so far.

By scotiapilot at 2011-11-13

Slotted and drilled rotors!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I wish I had the Wagoneer. I would have held onto it anyway, even with the DISCOVERY.

Just because your tach is acting up does not mean it is the alternator, it could be wiring or the tach.

If you get a rebuild from ANY of the stores you listed, you will be getting rid of a high quality alternator for one rebuilt with inferior components and you will end up taking it back frequently when it fails to charge the battery.

A much better alternative is to remove your current alternator and take it to a shop that specializes in rebuilding alternator. They can test it and repalce what is needed and you will still have a high quality alternator. The MM alternator is a very expensive one, so do not use it as a core charge on a cheap one or you will regret it.

You can often find used seats at various scrap yards or buy a set of the covers that slip over the stock seats. There are some nice waterproof ones that several of the Rover Vendors handle. Some of the places do sell replacement leather seat covers and the RAVE manual covers how to disassembly the seats and replace the covers.

Those seat switches are very expensive new, I would try either Will Tillery or Paul Grant for used ones or a scrapyard.

Some people do use Royal Purple, but most of us use a more affordable oil.

The correct weight to use is determined by the operating enviroment. AVOID 5W30 it is too thin and will give you knocking. The temp range where you live determines whether you should use 10W30, 10W40 or whatever. Some use 15W40 Rotella Diesel Oil for the extra cleaning additives. Some use 20W50 Castrol. I have been using MAXLIFE 10W40.
The Discovery takes 7 quarts of oil with a filter change. A five quart jug will not be enough. Also most LR's leak oil, so most of us buy in bulk when possible.

For new parts, I normally go to Rovers North webpages first. Atlantic British is another one that carries most of what we need. RovahFarms is another somewhat smaller one with good prices on what he does carry.

With the Discovery, I avoid buying much other than oil from Advance, AutoZone, PepBoys and similar places. NAPA has some good items, more so than the others mentioned.

Good Luck with it. Did you get any documentation with the vehicle (like receipts and service records)?

Old 11-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Wow, I wish I had the Wagoneer. I would have held onto it anyway, even with the DISCOVERY.

Just because your tach is acting up does not mean it is the alternator, it could be wiring or the tach.

If you get a rebuild from ANY of the stores you listed, you will be getting rid of a high quality alternator for one rebuilt with inferior components and you will end up taking it back frequently when it fails to charge the battery.

A much better alternative is to remove your current alternator and take it to a shop that specializes in rebuilding alternator. They can test it and repalce what is needed and you will still have a high quality alternator. The MM alternator is a very expensive one, so do not use it as a core charge on a cheap one or you will regret it.

You can often find used seats at various scrap yards or buy a set of the covers that slip over the stock seats. There are some nice waterproof ones that several of the Rover Vendors handle. Some of the places do sell replacement leather seat covers and the RAVE manual covers how to disassembly the seats and replace the covers.

Those seat switches are very expensive new, I would try either Will Tillery or Paul Grant for used ones or a scrapyard.

Some people do use Royal Purple, but most of us use a more affordable oil.

The correct weight to use is determined by the operating enviroment. AVOID 5W30 it is too thin and will give you knocking. The temp range where you live determines whether you should use 10W30, 10W40 or whatever. Some use 15W40 Rotella Diesel Oil for the extra cleaning additives. Some use 20W50 Castrol. I have been using MAXLIFE 10W40.
The Discovery takes 7 quarts of oil with a filter change. A five quart jug will not be enough. Also most LR's leak oil, so most of us buy in bulk when possible.

For new parts, I normally go to Rovers North webpages first. Atlantic British is another one that carries most of what we need. RovahFarms is another somewhat smaller one with good prices on what he does carry.

With the Discovery, I avoid buying much other than oil from Advance, AutoZone, PepBoys and similar places. NAPA has some good items, more so than the others mentioned.

Good Luck with it. Did you get any documentation with the vehicle (like receipts and service records)?

Yes I did get all the receipts of the rebuilds, parts pieces etc. The motor was rebuilt by the company that rebuilds for the Land Rover dealership in ft worth.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:30 PM

If you do not mind sharing the info, what was the price for this vehicle? and What did they give you for the Wagoneer?

Have you downloaded the RAVE manuals yet? They contain all the documentation for everything from Land Rover and it is a frewe download. See Savannah Buzz's signature for the link for the RAVE and for Will Tillery and Paul Grants info.

Sounds like yours is better maintained than most of them we see on here.

I did notice the woven map holders on the headliner are sagging badly. Looks like someone was swinging from them.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
If you do not mind sharing the info, what was the price for this vehicle? and What did they give you for the Wagoneer?

Have you downloaded the RAVE manuals yet? They contain all the documentation for everything from Land Rover and it is a frewe download. See Savannah Buzz's signature for the link for the RAVE and for Will Tillery and Paul Grants info.

Sounds like yours is better maintained than most of them we see on here.

I did notice the woven map holders on the headliner are sagging badly. Looks like someone was swinging from them.

I just did the rave download, and havent reviewed it.

It was an even trade. Owner to owner swap.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I replied already over on the other forum, like Danny said, dont waste your money on RP.
In all honesty, if you want the best protection for where you live...Rotella HD-30 or HD-40 will give you way more protection than you will ever need and it will also save you a butt ton of money.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:03 PM

It was an even trade. Owner to owner swap.

In that case, I would say you did fine. You and her should enjoy it for a long time to come.

Congratulations, hope Ruby does you proud.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 PM

I agree with Spike, instead of spending so much on Royal Purple, use the Rotella or Something similar and put the additional savings away for the baby. By the time she is ready for college, you will need it and could save a significant amount by buying Rotella at Walmart.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks guys!

So whats the deal with disco forums. Whats the difference between the two?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Rock Crawling

let me ask this questions with you guys, why is there a need for heavier weight oil? Is it clearance issues on high mileage? Low oil pressure because of used pumps?

The motor is brand new and new oil pump etc.

I do like rotella and have used it on my jeeps in the past. but lets bar the discussion on brand and give me some insight on weight.

Also the the netting/cubby hole stuff I have yet to see one here in Texas that didnt look like that.....is there a fix?

Quick Reply: Another New guy with questions, yes I used search