Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rear brake pad falling through

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake pad falling through

I was checking my brakes because of a clunking noise and saw that... I read somewhere that this could be caused by using old RRC pads...

I just want to make sure I order all the parts I need besides rotor and pads. I know the caliper's badly rusted but it works...

The retaining springs on the top were there although badly rusted.

Would there be any other parts missing?

Thanks for any input

Attached Thumbnails Rear brake pad falling through-img_5391.jpg   Rear brake pad falling through-img_5393.jpg   Rear brake pad falling through-img_5396.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would order the complete hardware kit along with the pads...contains everything you need including the cotter pins. Looks to me like you are also missing the little metal shims that go on the pads as well.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at the Rovers North website. I bought their rotor and pad sets, they were about 100 bucks per axle. Also get their fitting kit I think they call it, has all the new pieces. I also got their ProLine calipers for the rear on mine because mine were so corroded.

When you are going down a steep terrain off-road, the last thing you want to be thinking about is "boy did I save a lot of money buying these cheap brakes".

The pads in their kit is the Mintex brand.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vegas99d1
I would order the complete hardware kit along with the pads...contains everything you need including the cotter pins. Looks to me like you are also missing the little metal shims that go on the pads as well.
I saw that some sites are selling those shims but not all of them and I can't see any mention of these in RAVE. I never had any shims on other cars either. Did the Discos come out of the factory with these?

Also, is there any reason to get the pads with sensor?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your truck isn't equipped with the wear sensor, buying pads with sensors is absolutely useless.

I recommend replacing the hardware kit at the same time as the pads. Cotter pins are hardly reusable and rust easily, same for the shims. The shims act as a spring to keep the pad down in the caliper.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

When I got my front pad hardware kit from AB it had springs cotters and the pins but the pins were considerably longer than the originals so I put the originals back in.

Name:  0590d059.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  177.4 KB

My stupid autozone pads came with sensors even though my truck doesn't have the sensor. I just cut it off. Also, I've seen some of the pads that have the metal plates on the back of them and they're coated. It's like built in disc brake quiet. Unless you're talking about the springs that come out of the top of some of the pads. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about the shims. Just use discbrake quiet