Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Baby it's cold outside (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/baby-its-cold-outside-93242/)

jimvw57 01-30-2019 01:45 AM

Baby it's cold outside

Too cold for the Disco to start so I had to leave it at work. Only -21 (and that's not the wind chill) Even with the help of a jump it wouldn't run. It acted like it wanted to start but wouldn't keep running. The high temp tomorrow is predicted to be -21, so not much chance of it starting for at least a few days. I did let the battery charge up after cranking so it won't freeze. 4 days from now the predicted high will be around 45 degrees (that is above zero, ) which is about a 60 degree swing in temps.... What a world!!

ihscouts 01-30-2019 07:50 AM

Block heater is a must here, have one installed in my Jeep and in a diesel tractor. Painless starts and instant heat while waiting on the trans to warm up.

jimvw57 01-30-2019 12:16 PM

Mine is sitting at work so no place to plug in even if it had a heater in it.

stillruns 01-30-2019 03:41 PM

-21 degrees is no joke. I wouldn’t start either in that cold.

jimvw57 02-01-2019 12:31 AM

So made it to work today (thursday) and of course the Disco barely turned over, so I pulled the battery (3 years old I see) and put the charger on it for 4 hours.... when I reinstalled the battery, temp was -7 degrees, and the truck barely turned over once and started right up. Ran a bit rough but cleared up after a bit.n I then noticed Master Cylinder was empty.. I filled it and of course, NO BRAKES!! I had a broken line fixed last week, and when I moved it (carefully) I found a spot in the snow right about where the line was replaced. Hmmmmm...Guess I will be taking it back to the shop that fixed the line.

I did get it back home (43 miles) one good thing about working 2nd shift, No traffic on the way home.

ihscouts 02-02-2019 06:24 PM

Mine used to leak brake fluid through the caliper piston seals when it was really cold. After I replaced the calipers I still checked the inner tire sidewalls for the streaks.

jimvw57 02-02-2019 06:49 PM

I have noticed the level would go down a bit in colder temps, this time it was empty and the spot in the snow is at the center of he rear axle, I just had the right rear brake line replaced and I suspect it wasn't tightened down all the way(??)

ihscouts 02-02-2019 07:15 PM

Cool, just mentioning it. It could be because the flare seal isn't tight or it has the wrong flare. It's one reason I do all my own work, I don't know what others did or didn't do and I'd rather take the guesses out of a problem. Not bragging, just like to do it myself and know it's done well. My MC would empty because of the calipers. Detour had the same issue with his Disco in the Maine cold. They chromed some pistons and when it flakes it chews up the seal and scores the piston bore, it won't leak until its cold. Once you get the line problem fixed if you see the MC is a little low in really cold weather check the inner tire sidewalls. It's quick.

jimvw57 02-03-2019 08:40 AM

Thanks.Part of my pre-drive checklist is to take a look at the MC level, as well as the oil and Power Steering levels. The joys of driving an older vehicle I guess.

jimvw57 02-05-2019 11:24 AM

Shop just called and said the Master cylinder is shot!! WOW!! just got this from Lucky 8 almost exactly a year ago. New (not rebuilt) and Lucky 8 will sell me a new one no problem..
So I guess I should plan on replacing the master cylinder every year....

ihscouts 02-05-2019 12:41 PM

That ain’t cool, sure you wanna get another of the same? Still have the original? If so I'd rebuild it.

jimvw57 02-05-2019 04:34 PM

WHAT THE ?????

I looked on the Lucky8 website and price on a master Cylinder is $129.00 Price I was quoted from Lucky8 was $141.00 and this was supposed to be a discounted price because of the previous MC that went bad...

** UPDATE**
they sent me an Email saying they are changing to a different website and the old site did not have the new pricing. They credited my account $12 difference. Still doesn't explain why a master cylinder only lasted less than a year.... Unfortunately I am getting the same one for a replacement. I will have the failed one to rebuild myself. Wish I had the original one that came with the truck!

jimvw57 02-06-2019 10:25 AM

would have been nice to have the Disco for the drive home from work. 10+ inches of snow, with ice under that and I had to drive the smart car. I was able to plow through dragging underneath most of the way home, 43 miles! only took 1 1/2 hours. Latest forecast is another snowstorm is heading our way soon.

jimvw57 02-07-2019 09:56 AM

Snowing again, picked up the Disco and the new Master Cylinder seems to have made a big difference! Of course i mow have brakes, but the pulsating pedal I was experiencing has gone away without replacing pads or rotors (??) We shall see how it does on the drive to work and back (43 miles each way)

I would have installed it myself but I just can't get much done when it is only 10 degrees out and snowing. Someday I might get a driveway and maybe even a garage!!

WaltNYC 02-07-2019 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by jimvw57 (Post 679585)
Someday I might get a driveway and maybe even a garage!!

I'm with ya.

jimvw57 02-08-2019 12:02 AM

Drive to work was miserable.. no plows out and icy roads under 3-4 inches of snow plus drifts... Even worse driving home. Winds picked up and made a few near whiteout spots. Other than a CEL for engine miss, (probably from the cold weather flooding last week) the Disco made it there and back. Every time I think about getting rid of it, something like this reminds me why I keep it around.

ihscouts 02-08-2019 05:36 AM

My drive in was the same except 30 mph gusts blowing snow the whole way, I love it, had the road all to myself. The brakes are iced as was the whole Heep so I’ll park it in my shop to melt. Lake effect machine is in high gear today. Plenty more tards left to scour from the roads......

stillruns 02-08-2019 06:27 AM

:nopics:

Take some pics! LRF loves pics...or at least I do:cool:

ihscouts 02-08-2019 09:15 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...daeeb9215.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...2ebd00af31.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...4a3369b9bb.jpg
First one is my Land Rover, snow is very fine, it’s 12 degrees. Snow has been coming in waves, not very heavy at pic time.

jimvw57 02-08-2019 10:04 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...6ecf48f9fe.jpg
Start of the snow
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...19907da407.jpg
12 hrs later
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...f8114f0046.jpg
24 hrs later with a -8 degree temp and heavy winds all night

The smart wouldn't make it up the street, anything over about 6 inches of snow and it makes a good snow plow.

stillruns 02-08-2019 10:12 AM

I would like to own a tractor like that. Would make easy work of clearing an old dam on the property.

stillruns 02-08-2019 10:13 AM

I would be terrified to drive around in a Smart in snow that deep. Great photos showing the accumulation.

WaltNYC 02-08-2019 12:30 PM

If you are driving a Smart around in that snow you are a brave soul. Much braver than me.

jimvw57 02-08-2019 02:16 PM

well, this one has taken out 2 deer so far... and I have been driving smarts for 11 years now...

And today when I got to work, I checked the brake fluid, it was down to the min mark on the reservoir... Guess they were incorrect about the bad master cylinder. I'll baby it through until warmer weather, then go with new calipers and pads.

whiskeynipple0088 02-08-2019 03:03 PM

that smart car is far safer in a wreck then our disco's

WaltNYC 02-08-2019 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by jimvw57 (Post 679749)
well, this one has taken out 2 deer so far... and I have been driving smarts for 11 years now...

And today when I got to work, I checked the brake fluid, it was down to the min mark on the reservoir... Guess they were incorrect about the bad master cylinder. I'll baby it through until warmer weather, then go with new calipers and pads.

Think about D110 (non vented) or D90 (vented) calipers up front.

jimvw57 02-09-2019 12:11 AM

Good point... but why would they put a more heavy duty brake system on a lighter truck than a Discovery?? Also since I don't have any mountains or even terribly large hills, or pull trailers large enough to worry about stopping, I probably don't NEED the vented rotors, I do agree they aren't a bad idea though.

ihscouts 02-09-2019 11:16 AM

Couple of things to note about Discos. They where the Freelander of their day, less expensive than a Rangie or Defender. The Disco used off the shelf parts and that doesn’t mean Rover parts. A stock Defender also wears bigger meats than 235s and generally was a work truck and not a weekend toy. It was purpose built whereas the D1 was a family wagon.

jimvw57 02-11-2019 01:17 PM

Well then, good thing I have a family. I'd still be tempted if I found a 110 with LHD, v8, auto, AC and at a reasonable price...Darn Americans...

jimvw57 03-14-2019 12:55 AM

Replaced pads on drivers side, found the pass side is pouring out brake fluid when it gets cold out. about 1/2 the reservoir on the Master Cylinder overnight. it is in having the caliper replaced (and pads) so hopefully it will be working for a bit. Rain the last day with warmer temps (mid 30's) with upper 40's on the way. now comes the flooding from all the melting snow.