Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

CDL lever moves...but no light on dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
OK...so I drove the car this weekend. Tried to get the dash light to go on.

- While in Neutral....moved the lever to the left. Drove 50 yds (dead straight). no luck.

- while in neutral....moved the lever up (Lo - locked). Drove 50 yds (dead straight). no light.

Tried several times to no avail. It feels as if it is locking, but the dang light might just be too old. I haven't used it in a very long time. (generally a weekend, highway cruiser) That said, to my knowledge, the other dash lights are functioning just fine. The linkage moves freely and I believe I'm feeling it move into the correct position, but darned if that little light won't light.
Did you try locking it and putting it in reverse? Back it up down the street? Sounds silly, but that's what kicked my light on the first time.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I figured my bulb went out. It was working then quit. Finally took it on a 2-3gour offroad drive and it has came
On perfectly eversince.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you checked the bulb? All you have to do is open the binnacle (where did they get that name at?) and all the light bulbs are right there. You can swap it with one that is working. That is a very simple way to tell.

If the bulb is good, then once again, I would bet that it is the switch. If the switch is bad, it will never illuminate.

Don't you have a grassy area or something other than firm pavement to try it out good? I am lucky enough to have my own ramp into my backyard and the next door neighbor's back yard as well. It's short and steep and it's clay and grass. I squirt it with the hose to make it slick and have fun wheeling around the back yard if I can't get out on the trails......

Old 12-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's the position of the lever supposed to be for normal driving purposes?

Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lever was jammed and I got stuck last night and in a fit of rage I punched it hoping it would move forward and it now moves into Low but I cannot get it to go to the left, is it supposed to? And if so, how? I'm a newb

Sorry for the thread jack, rather not make a new thread.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Garrett
My lever was jammed and I got stuck last night and in a fit of rage I punched it hoping it would move forward and it now moves into Low but I cannot get it to go to the left, is it supposed to? And if so, how? I'm a newb

Sorry for the thread jack, rather not make a new thread.
No idea what you've tried thus far, so take with an appropriate grain of salt.. Yes it's supposed to go left. Go to autozone and get a can of PB blaster. Crawl under the passenger door with a flashlight. Have someone get in and wiggle the CDL around so you can see what's trying/not moving. Spray entire linkage liberally (don't be under that). That's all it took with mine. Sprayed it over a few days and it unstuck. If it's more complicated than that search Danny Lee Disco has a good write up. hope you don't have to got that deep though. Probably it's just not been used and needs to have the corrosion removed. Don't punch it anymore as you might bend the linkeage. Also, recall that from hi to low the transmission is supposed to be in neutral. To lock it it can be in gear. Hope that helps.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by demonlarry
what's the position of the lever supposed to be for normal driving purposes?
Back and to the right (high/unlocked).

Old 12-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twoxred
No idea what you've tried thus far, so take with an appropriate grain of salt.. Yes it's supposed to go left. Go to autozone and get a can of PB blaster. Crawl under the passenger door with a flashlight. Have someone get in and wiggle the CDL around so you can see what's trying/not moving. Spray entire linkage liberally (don't be under that). That's all it took with mine. Sprayed it over a few days and it unstuck. If it's more complicated than that search Danny Lee Disco has a good write up. hope you don't have to got that deep though. Probably it's just not been used and needs to have the corrosion removed. Don't punch it anymore as you might bend the linkeage. Also, recall that from hi to low the transmission is supposed to be in neutral. To lock it it can be in gear. Hope that helps.
Yea it the trans was in neutral. Thanks I'll look into that.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:07 PM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Have you checked the bulb? All you have to do is open the binnacle (where did they get that name at?) and all the light bulbs are right there. You can swap it with one that is working. That is a very simple way to tell.

If the bulb is good, then once again, I would bet that it is the switch. If the switch is bad, it will never illuminate.
So I was in an icy parking lot this weekend and had the chance to do a little more driving with the CDL in the locked (left) position. Still no light.

I haven't checked the bulb on the dash yet so that will be first. I have one more question so that I'm clear.... if the CDL switch is frozen, for sure the light on the dash will not illuminate but......does the diff still lock? I presume yes if the linkage is sound.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So if my CLD only goes into Hi (unlocked) & Low (unlocked) I shoot the linkage under the passenger side and it should come free?

Quick Reply: CDL lever moves...but no light on dash