Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   CEL P0441 code (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/cel-p0441-code-32867/)

Danny Lee 97 Disco 07-29-2010 05:37 PM

CEL P0441 code

I wa in heavy bumper to bumper trafficentering Squirrl Hill Tunnel leaving Pittsburgh 95 degrees, AC on. Temp guage started to climb. so I turned off AC, it cooled right back down.

A little later CEL was on. Read code 0441.Reset, runnng fine, no repeat.

Any Info?

Long Haul 07-30-2010 03:04 AM

code P0441 is a usually a bad purge valve.....might have just stuck and now working again??

Danny Lee 97 Disco 08-01-2010 03:42 PM

I am not familar with the purge valve, that is what was referenced. I guess with the increased heat, it may have stuck. It has not repeated.

Anyone else ever have any issues with the purge valve? What is it? Where is it?

Rovin4life 08-01-2010 03:59 PM

no nothing to do with the heat. its the ac problem. if it only overheats with the ac on then you have a problem. its possible the fans are not coming on.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 08-01-2010 04:07 PM

Fans definitely coming on, it has run up slightly in operating temp with AC on, on really hot days at low speed in traffic. I always cut it off before it climbs much. Has happened twice now.
Any other ideas, should I be concered about fan clutch?

greg409 08-01-2010 05:31 PM

Danny, here's a simple version.

Fuel expands in the gas tank, for emission's sake, we don't want the fumes.

They move to the evap canister in front of W/W tank (small tube from filler neck to evap can)

When you give it gas, the purge valve releases the vapor(mixed with air) into intake (another small tube to intake) to be burned @ 14:1 ratio.

The ECU controls this.

My guess is when it was hot out, you kept stop/go, it pissed off the system. a second guess is you didn't have a full tank (shouldn't need to)

I'd inspect (you're no stranger to your lines) the lines to gas tank filler neck & vacuum to intake, might not happen again.

luck,greg

Spike555 08-01-2010 06:40 PM

Adding to what Greg said, could have been "vapor lock" in the purge valve.
There is alot of heat under there and sitting in traffic like that and with the engine getting to hot (separate issues) it very well could have been vapor lock in the purge valve.
I dont know how old you are and if you are familiar with the vapor lock phenomena that was common on mechanical fuel pump engines.
It was not fun when it happened to you I can tell you that.

greg409 08-01-2010 08:06 PM

Please forgive my impetuance, (I think that's spelded rite) but if I'm not mistaken, on a bypass regulated EFI system, we shouldn't vapor lock

But I was wrong once b/4

Or maybe a senior moment

When you give it gas, should have read, anytime the throttle body opens (i.e. accelerating or cruising)
LOL

luck,greg

Spike555 08-01-2010 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by greg409 (Post 190424)
Please forgive my impetuance, (I think that's spelded rite) but if I'm not mistaken, on a bypass regulated EFI system, we shouldn't vapor lock

But I was wrong once b/4

Or maybe a senior moment

When you give it gas, should have read, anytime the throttle body opens (i.e. accelerating or cruising)
LOL

luck,greg

Chock it up to a senior moment. LOL

No fuel injection with electric fuel pumps do not vapor lock.
My point I was trying to make although not very well said was that maybe his purge valve "vapor locked" thus setting off the code.
I did not mean the engine vapor locked, but his purge valve.
I dont know if it is possible, but space travel is so why not?

greg409 08-01-2010 11:14 PM

chock what?

luck,greg