Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Change to Rear Air Conditioner (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/change-rear-air-conditioner-45028/)

slanginsanjuan 11-09-2011 11:25 AM

Change to Rear Air Conditioner

I have the interior apart and am wondering how effective really the rear AC is. Should I get it working again or modify if it. Maybe if I remove it, the front will work better?

If I remove it I can remove the AC channeling and plexi interior Alpine window but I may have gaps in my interior.

Let me add that a powerful AC is really important for me.

Any thoughts?

Savannah Buzz 11-09-2011 11:36 AM

The rear air uses the same compressor, you just have 8 ounces more R134a in the system. From RAVE:

Refrigerant required to charge system:
Without rear air conditioning = 0.90kg (32 fl/oz)

With rear air conditioning = 1.15kg (40 fl/oz)

I don't have rear air in my D1, or Mercedes station wagon, I do have it in my minivan. Seems to help in the van, perhaps that temp can be kept more uniform without running the front full blast all the time.

If you remove it and try to keep the 40 ounces of gas, you'll have problems.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 11-09-2011 11:53 AM

I thought he was going to tell us he busted out the rear door glass or something cool like that...........

slanginsanjuan 11-09-2011 12:52 PM

Sorry to disappoint Danny. Glad I have my glass. Watch out for that Aluminum ladder you carry around!

Not sure I understand the implications of the 80 oz. but it seems I should keep it as is.

Thanks guys.

Savannah Buzz 11-09-2011 12:59 PM

That is 8 ounces different, not 80. Larger system has more pipe, a second evaporator, etc. So it needs more juice inside. But IMHO having two fans circulating cool air is a good thing. Being that I have a lot more surface area to cool than when I was younger, more cool is mo' betta.

John Garcia 11-09-2011 01:03 PM

I live in Houston an AC is a must. Getting my windows tinted dark as legal made all the difference in the world.

Savannah Buzz 11-09-2011 01:09 PM

And you have all that wonderful humidity. I lived on FM1960 and the xway many years ago, and it was hot then also. Bet traffic hasn't improved at all....

Long Haul 11-09-2011 01:20 PM

On the Mrs's SE7 it has rear air and my 99 doesnt, but the few times hers worked it cooled the cab down a lot faster then my 99 ever did. So I guess it does help and there is a lot of work to swap it out to a non rear air truck, so I say leave it in an fix it.

Savannah Buzz 11-09-2011 01:29 PM

Yep, and you've got that dark color too to really soak up the rays. Maybe upgrade to some rattle kan kamo and you'ld fade right into the lush tropical landscape.

slanginsanjuan 11-09-2011 01:53 PM

Scraped all the old tint off. Gonna replace that with as dark as I can. Nice to know it helps. I also want a used pair of Weathertech Window guards so I can leave the window open an inch or two when it's parked.

Roof as previously mentioned is going to Aluminum color (unless I get cold feet before I buy the paint).

Seems I should leave the rear AC in as suggested.