Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Clink in reverse AFTER prob rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clink in reverse AFTER prob rebuild

So about three weeks ago I finished the front prop rebuild with serviceable u joints. I sweated and grunted getting them in but finally the circlips got seated and the joints moved freely.

About a week ago I noticed a small clink when shifting in reverse, then I noticed that I get a pretty good clink when I let out of the throttle and come back into it hard, usually at highway speeds. I don't necessarily remember this happening before the rebuild, but I started the rebuild about a week after I bought it (thanks Tom for scaring the living life out of me about front prop failures) so it's possible I overlooked it then.

Question 1: Is it normal to have some a slight clink when shifting from park to reverse (such as from play in the diff)? I would guess not on this because it' doesn't happen every time.

Question 2: Did I muck up the front prop u joints? I made sure no needle bearings were missing, but I did have to plug pretty hard on those guys to get 'em seated. Aside from the clink I have no vibration or other performance problems.

Question 3 (assuming negative on the second): I have not rebuild the rear prop yet. Is it common to have to rebuild those around 80k? Also my rotoflex is showing a few small hairline dry rot cracks, will that cause popping?

Question 4: Any cracker jack ideas on how to pinpoint this noise? The props are of course rock solid to my desk-job weakened hands.

Question 5: If so on the rear prop needing u joints, should I drop everything and fix this?

Mucho gracias senoirs for your helpos!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
TReK

Sounds normal to me

Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Ditto. I get the same noises at 100K. When I had my front shaft out to be rebuilt, and the transfer case in CDL, it made no difference on the noise. I am planning to replace my rear u-joint and roto-flex (no problems with either) just for the sake of it, but I would be willing to bet the noises aren't going to change with the rear driveshaft removed either.

I get the occasional click/clunk when shifting to reverse, and I have learned to drive to avoid the click/clunk by waiting for the transmission to shift if I let off the throttle completely, before giving it gas.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What year and how many miles on it? Did this happen as soon as you reinstalled the shaft, did you replace the centering ball and who's u-joints did you use?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What year and how many miles on it? Did this happen as soon as you reinstalled the shaft, did you replace the centering ball and who's u-joints did you use?
DiscoMike-

2003, 83k, don't really remember if it started then or was always like that, yes I did, and Neapco 1-0005, respectively.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

its just drive line slack. keep an eye on the rotoflex though that will need replacment or rebuild soon.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Mudding

I love you guys...!

And I will be rebuilding the rear prop hopefully before winter. Any special tricks on that?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you have two options. rebuild it with u joint or purchase a one already built with a u joint conversion or you can just replace the rotoflex as is.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Did you also replace the centering ball? If not, that is your problem.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many people have had the rotoflex fail on these?
I am contimplating removing it and putting in a U joint.

Quick Reply: Clink in reverse AFTER prob rebuild