Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Console frustrations (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/console-frustrations-46465/)

rcook 01-07-2012 07:13 PM

Console frustrations

Hello, new to the site and the Land Rover world. Recently purchased a 1997 disco I. Spent last several hrs trying to remove the center console in order to replace the busted plastic shift indicator..has anyone done this successfully? Having trouble getting over the emergency brake handle.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Savannah Buzz 01-07-2012 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the pages from the shop manual. It is called the RAVE. It is hundreds of pages of detailed info about your truck, the same thing the dealer has. Includes shop, electrical, owner's manuals. Free download link in my signature.

rcook 01-07-2012 07:48 PM

SavBuzz..thanks very much.

rcook 01-08-2012 09:42 AM

Almost there, how do you remover the gear selector handle? Popped the cover off expecting a set screw. Not sure how to remove the thumb release button to get handle off. Any help?..Thanks

hh65flyer 01-08-2012 11:06 AM

Pull the thumb release out, opposite normal direction you would push.

You don't need to remove the handle though to get the console out...

rcook 01-08-2012 11:13 AM

gear knob removal

Thanks, console is out. Gear selector tape is torn up from previous owner,wanting to replace tape or entire unit. Need to remove knob in order to get the unit out...read some say pull up real hard and it will come off (disco II's), tried that not working, maybe different on disco I?

hh65flyer 01-08-2012 11:44 AM

Did you find a replacement tape? Mine is in bad shape also.

I took mine (handle) off recently but I don't remember anything unusual about the process. After getting the cover off and pulling the push-button out, it sort of made sense to me. Isn't there a nut or something on top of the slider mech? Sorry I'm not helping you much. I do know you cannot simply pull up on it...once you get the slider/push-button assembly out of the way there is a large nut that has to be removed.

Can you post a picture looking straight down on the mesh? That would likely remind me how I did it. Good luck.

rcook 01-08-2012 11:59 AM

A local rover parts house here in San Antonio has the tape and i also found the complete unit at roverlandparts.com for $50.00., just turning out to be a chore getting everything off but almost there.

hh65flyer 01-08-2012 12:07 PM

How much is the tape? I'm just curious as I have much larger fish to fry and this is quite low on the list...

rcook 01-08-2012 12:56 PM

I'll get a price on the tape tomorrow and post it up. I hear ya about the list. I just picked up this 97' couple weeks ago and been fixing alot of little stuff. The torn up tape about wraps it up. Waiting on the plenum hose to the right valve cover, put on a new set of Falken Rocky Mtn ATS yesterday..245/75/16"s. The entire unit is camo including the headliner..what can I saw, I'm a hunting/fishing fool and this little ride is pretty cool looking!!!