Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

cooling fan replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
There is no way an electric fan can be substituted for the main engine fan if that is what you are asking.
Sure you can. It's a very popular conversion in the UK.
http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/pro...ch_suction.php

Old 09-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only drawback is the added amperage draw. If you are running lights and a stereo, you may have problems on hot nights. Your fan should be replaced, if you have one blade broken already, it may be ready to go, then you are looking at a new radiator.

It really does sound to me like you have a head gasket issue. If it is bubbling in the overflow, you are getting exhaust gas into the coolant. No amount of fans will fix that..

Old 09-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
The only drawback is the added amperage draw. If you are running lights and a stereo, you may have problems on hot nights. Your fan should be replaced, if you have one blade broken already, it may be ready to go, then you are looking at a new radiator.

It really does sound to me like you have a head gasket issue. If it is bubbling in the overflow, you are getting exhaust gas into the coolant. No amount of fans will fix that..
I thought the bubbling in the overflow was a good sign of a bad pressure cap, due to the lack of required pressure the cap would normally produce therefore lowing the boiling point?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

There is no way an electric fan can be substituted for the main engine fan if that is what you are asking.
Sure it can

Old 09-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ngarover
I thought the bubbling in the overflow was a good sign of a bad pressure cap, due to the lack of required pressure the cap would normally produce therefore lowing the boiling point?
Possibly. New cap is only 8$
But if there was no pressure then how would you blow hoses? When you shut it off and unscrew the cap does it make an aires apemsound

Old 09-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Possibly. New cap is only 8$
But if there was no pressure then how would you blow hoses? When you shut it off and unscrew the cap does it make an aires apemsound
That was my thinking exactly>>>

Old 09-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

$100 and you can have a new fan and fan clutch.
You need to rule that out before you go any farther, you already know they are bad so start there.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wtoney99
so im having alot of over heating problems. i have changed out the thermostat (none in before), changed almost all hoses. i belive my fan clutch is not working. i rairly hear it engage and one of my fan blades is broken off. so insted of playing for a new clutch and fan i was considering an electric fan. here this kit will fit perfetly. any one have an idea if this is a good idea?

Nobody's post here is wrong, but here's my $200 dollars or so thoughts based on my experiances.

My fan clutch was shot several (5?) years ago.

I installed a 5200cfm 2-speed lincoln (great fan). It drew 39amps on high.

This excessive load on the batt caused water to boil out faster than normal & the alt to be in high charge mode.

After three years, I replaced alt & batt.

I bought & installed (2) 12" fans because they draw 7amps ea. & pull 2000+ cfm ea.

In both cases I HAD to make a shroud. (Easy, since I run a fab shop)

I'm still using the 12's, but They're borderline in traffic on a hot day.

Everything was/is on stats w/mech override.

If I did it over, I'd do as spike suggests and be done with it, but I'm not that bright

luck,greg

Old 09-09-2010, 03:36 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another thing that is happening is im loosing water. have no idea where it goes. it has to be boiling off. my pressure cap is fine never had an issue with that. and im building pressure, so much so that i split a 1/8' thick braided radiator hose right in half, and now my radiator just split on the seem. so my biggest concern is maybe a head gasket or a hole in my block. again i have no water and oil mixing and i know that dosent mean i dont have a blown gasket or a hole, but is their anything else that may be causing this? other things are the oil pressure light is on.

Last edited by wtoney99; 09-09-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are classic signs of a blown head gasket. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: cooling fan replacement.